An active Student Senate

New bill a good step in listening to the student body

Published: Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Updated: Wednesday, September 26, 2012 04:09

The University of Toledo Student Senate will be implementing a new system in which each senator will be required to attend events or meetings held by different student organizations with which they are not affiliated in order to make sure the voices of students are heard.

This is a good initiative by the Student Senate pending that they do it fairly and address a few concerns.

Those in student organizations big and small will have their voices heard. It’s easy to miss the concerns of an organization that doesn’t have the long-established structure of some of the larger organizations which get more of the university’s attention. This initiative might help these small organizations grow and flourish.

Senators will have a better idea of the diverse organizations on campus. Naturally, one is attracted to a niche of organizations whose interests match one’s own. This initiative will hopefully force senators out of their comfort zones to organizations in order to grasp UT’s campus diversity.

This initiative will better equip senators to address every organization’s concerns because they will have been there to witness their problems. If every organization is visited through the course of the year by a senator, as should be the case, then there will ideally be someone who sits on the senate who will be able to attest to the functionality and problems of every organization which comes before the senate floor.

One concern is that students involved in student organizations are not the only students on campus. Non-traditional students who can’t be as active as others cannot be ignored.

To address these concerns, the senate must remain open to the student body outside of the student organizations and they must make it mandatory that a senator visits every single organization every year.