Biden brings Obama campaign to University of Toledo

News Editor

Published: Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Updated: Wednesday, October 24, 2012 03:10

Joe Biden

Vincent D. Scebbi

Vice President Joe Biden speaks Oct. 23 in the University of Toledo Student Union.

Cheers of “four more years” greeted Vice President Joe Biden this morning as he addressed University of Toledo students and community at the Student Union Building Auditorium.

Biden discussed education policy, job creation and tax policy with a crowd of about 1,500, according to the campaign. 

The opening ceremonies involved Biden’s daughter Ashley Biden, several UT students, including members of UT’s ROTC and Ohio congresswoman Marcy Kaptur, whom Biden invited onstage during his speech after Kaptur introduced him.

The vice president discussed issues relevant to Toledo residents, including the bailout of the auto industry, and reiterated accusations of Republican nominee Mitt Romney’s outsourcing jobs. 

“Judge us by our actions,” Biden said. “President Obama and I will not stand by and let China break international trade laws and hurt Ohio workers, it’s just that basic.”

Biden drew several shouts of appreciation from the crowd as he cited his Violence Against Women’s Act of 1994, which he introduced, and health insurance changes under the Obama administration.

“One of the things that bound [Obama and I] together from the very beginning as a team is he is absolutely as committed as I… about one fundamental  thing,” he said. “My daughter, my four granddaughters, his daughters, deserve every single opportunity my sons have ... without exception.”

Biden also reminded college students of his administration’s support of Pell Grants and extended coverage of health care for college-aged students under their parent’s plan. 

Biden chided Romney’s campaign for “betting against America” by encouraging a “negative” view of the country’s prospects.

“Folks in Ohio know … there is no quit in America, there has never been any quit in America,” Biden said “The American people are bringing their country back, they’re not going to go back, and where we come from there’s only one direction and that’s to move forward.”

Biden, known for his sarcastic and sometimes rough humor, caused several outbreaks of laughter by calling Romney “etch-a-sketchy” and citing Obama’s newly coined phrase,“Romnesia.”

John Madison, a freshman majoring in mechanical engineering, said he is a lifelong Republican but wanted to hear what the vice president had to say about financial aid for college students.

Even though he voted against Obama four years ago, Madison is “not a huge fan” of Republican candidate Mitt Romney.

“Some of [Romney’s] stances are a bit harsh, and a lot of the things he stands for are a little too radical,” he said. “I’m still probably going to vote Republican, but I’m a little undecided.”

Cheyenne Brumfield, an undecided freshman and a lifelong Democrat, said she will definitely be voting for the current president. 

“Nothing was good before [Obama] started, and he’s already done so much in the past few years,” Brumfield said. 

Katherine Sabharwal, junior pre-nursing and an undecided voter, said she wanted to hear more about Obama’s policies.

She said she watched clips from all the debates, but wanted more information before she decided which candidate to support.

Adam Widrwille, junior majoring in chemical engineering, said even though he was raised Republican, he wants to be informed. 

“It’s an echo chamber effect,” he said. “If you surround yourself with people who think the same things … I’m going to vote that way, because that’s all I hear.”