Dyer, Lindsay invited to NCAA Championships

Published: Thursday, March 17, 2011

Updated: Thursday, March 17, 2011 11:03

Jacy Dyer will participate in the 200 Free, 500 Free and 1650 Free in the NCAA Swimming Championship

Courtesy of UT Athletic Department

Jacy Dyer will participate in the 200 Free, 500 Free and 1650 Free in the NCAA Swimming Championships this week. Laura Lindsay will also compete for UT in the 100 Breast and 200 Breast.

Senior Jacy Dyer and junior Laura Lindsay were invited to participate in the NCAA Swimming Championships beginning on Thursday in Austin, Texas, the first time in program history two players have been invited to attend.

"We are very excited to have two people at the NCAA meet," UT Head Coach Liz Hinkleman said. "We are looking forward to the competition and racing the best people in the nation."

Dyer qualified after posting a 16:12.58 in the 1650 Free at the Rutgers Invitational in January. She also will compete in the 200 Free and 500 Free after earning NCAA "B" cuts in the Mid-American Conference Championship with a 1:47.90 and 4:44.51, respectively.

"Qualifying for NCAAs was the perfect way to end my college swimming career," Dyer said. "I am so excited to compete against the fastest swimmers in the country."

Lindsay has qualifying times in both the 100 Breast (1:00.21) and 200 Breast (2:10.63). She placed first in 19 of 23 events on the year while finishing second in the remaining four.

Toledo has had just two players make the NCAA Championships in school history, both within the last four years. Kylie Gamelier was the most recent in 2009 and Megan McKinley qualified in 2008.

Dyer competes in the 500 Free on Thursday, the 200 Free on Friday and the 1650 Free on Saturday. Lindsay's first race begins on Friday with the 100 Breast before competing in the 200 Breast on Saturday.