Enrollment decreases to 21,500

Editor-in-Chief

Published: Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Updated: Wednesday, September 5, 2012 04:09

Total enrollment at the University of Toledo saw a decrease of about 1,100 from last year. 

The numbers, which were released Sept. 4, put the university at 21,500 enrolled undergraduate and graduate students across all campuses, a decrease from 22,624 at this point last year. 

The number of students enrolling directly from high school went down as well, from 3,504 to 3,189 this year.

UT President Lloyd Jacobs said in a statement one reason that may have contributed to the decrease was moving the deadline to enroll at Toledo to July 31, instead of the 15th day of the semester.

“While this year’s class is a bit smaller, it is also better prepared for the rigors of a college education,” Jacobs said. “Traditionally students who apply for admission late in the summer are among the least likely to return the following year, let alone earn a degree.”

The Full Time Equivalency decreased from 19,059 to 18,109 as well. The FTE is what determines the amount of money UT receives from the state. 

Jacobs said cost could be another reason why enrollment is down. While UT froze tuition during the 2007-08 and 2008-09 academic years, the rate has increased over the past few years. 

This fall, it went up 3.5 percent for most students and 4 percent for students in some graduate programs.  

“We’ve always been among the leaders in working to keep costs down,” Jacobs said in the statement. “But at the same time, many of the students who wanted to return to college and retool following the recession have now done that and returned to the marketplace.”