Halloween at UT

Rocket Life Editor

Published: Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Updated: Wednesday, October 31, 2012 04:10

stumbo halloween

Bob Taylor / IC

Jason Stumbo, director of bands, embraces his mad scientist persona while conducting the Halloween Spooktacular! concert.

halloween walk

Bob Taylor / IC

Carter Hall resident Olivia Herrera, a freshman majoring in Spanish and education, gives a treat to a young trick-or-treater.

spectrum dance

Bob Taylor / IC

Costumed students line dance during the Spectrum Halloween Ball at the Student Union Building, Room 2582.

Costumed students, young trick-or-treaters and musical monsters invaded campus this month.

To celebrate Halloween, several university organizations and offices hosted holiday-themed events.

One of the university’s largest October traditions is the annual Halloween Walk, where students living in the residence halls and McComas Village pass out candy to local grade school children.

Miniature superheroes and creatures roamed around campus Monday night with their parents. Students decorated their residence halls appropriately for the holiday.

Interim Director of Residence Life Virginia Speight said UT has hosted this event for 10 years and nine elementary schools participated this year.

UT’s Spectrum organization threw a Halloween Ball on Thursday at the Student Union Building. The costume dance party brought out approximately 50 students dressed in various costumes.

On Friday, the Office of Recreation hosted Welloween, allowing the UT community to receive free health screenings and flu shots while in costume.

The event took place at the Rec Center, and visitors also received health information from educational booths, along with free entertainment and candy, said Michele Martinez, dean of students.

The annual Halloween Spooktacular! concert featuring UT’s Wind Ensemble, Symphonic Band, Symphony Orchestra, and members of Concert Chorale and Opera Workshop took place at Doerman Theatre on Tuesday.

Performers dressed up for the show, which showcased Halloween-themed songs.