Homecoming events could have seen more attendance with better planning

Published: Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Updated: Wednesday, October 10, 2012 04:10

Between the beginning of the week before last and this past weekend, the University of Toledo celebrated its oldest tradition — Homecoming.

Homecoming events weren’t well-advertised, resulting in poor attendance for some events which ought to have been well-attended.

There was one poster listing the events which was easily glanced over, not necessarily placed in the best locations, and not properly brought to the attention of the student body. For busy students about campus, the posters weren’t the most visible thing. They were run of the mill and simply listed the events. 

They didn’t list that it’s the oldest tradition or advertise what might attract people to the events. They used the same poster format used every month for student activities. There was nothing about them to suggest anything special was happening if you stumbled upon them at all.

The timing, stretching over a two-week period that included fall break, was not ideal to students’ social lives. The week before fall break, students are focused on finishing the week so they can enjoy the long weekend. After the break, students’ minds aren’t yet back into university life. Their minds are still on break.

At the Homecoming events, there weren’t a lot of people attending when there should’ve been because people didn’t know about them. If they’d known about them, and the traditions that date back almost a century in university life, they’d have shown up. If they didn’t show up, it was either because they didn’t know or because student government didn’t plan interesting events. 

An example of the poor attendance that resulted from poor advertisement and timing is the Hellogoodbye concert. At the concert, there weren’t many students and the students who were in attendance weren’t what you’d expect at a concert featuring a major U.S. music group. An IC Staff member at the concert noticed that people looked bored.

While Homecoming events may not have been poorly produced, they were poorly timed and not well advertised. If you’re going to do Homecoming, a beloved UT tradition, it has to be done right. In this case, certain aspects could have been better planned.