Library hours extended during finals week

Published: Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Updated: Thursday, December 8, 2011 04:12

Student Government is moving forward with an initiative which will allow students to utilize the upper floors of the Carlson Library after midnight during finals week.

Beginning Saturday, the second through fifth floors of the library will be open until 2 a.m. so students can go to a quieter space to study beyond the first floor.

Another piece of legislation coming from the Student Senate states Carlson Library will remain open until 11 p.m. on Friday.

On Friday, Dec. 16, the extended hours will end and the library will close at 7 p.m.

Only the first floor of the library is open 24 hours while the other floors are off limits after midnight.

According to the legislation, "students often have a need to work on homework or study late at night," "many of the assignments students work on require the Internet," and "the first floor of the Carlson Library is often crowded or noisy from midnight to 2 a.m."

Chair of the Student Senate Heather Engle, who wrote the legislation for extended library hours on the upper floors, said it is distracting when students are in the middle of studying, only to be kicked off the upper floors.

"Especially during finals week," she said. "Students need a quiet atmosphere and also shouldn't be disrupted when they are studying in the first place."

Engle said students complained about the first floor being too crowded and loud after midnight during Student Government's "Whatcha Want Wednesdays," where members of SG go around campus asking students what initiatives they would like to see brought to UT.

Carlson will also open at 11 a.m. on Saturday instead of noon.