Mid-American Conference Commissioner Steinbrecher 'disappointed' with Georgia Tech decision

Sports Editor

Published: Friday, November 30, 2012

Updated: Friday, November 30, 2012 12:11

Mid-American Conference Commissioner Jon Steinbrecher released a statement late Thursday night concerning the NCAA’s decision to grant Georgia Tech a bowl waiver despite possibly being 6-7 after the ACC title game Saturday night.

The statement is as follows:

“I am disappointed in the NCAA’s decision to issue a waiver.  I could not disagree more with the rationale provided. One of the reasons for the development of the policy covering this matter was to clearly create a selection order to manage just this situation.

These selection orders were developed with NCAA staff input and approved unanimously by the NCAA Board of Directors last July. To suggest that that the NCAA staff or task force working on bowl policy did not contemplate such a circumstance, when this same situation occurred last year, is incorrect. The policy is clear and understandable. 

What is lacking is the willingness to enforce NCAA policy and that is regrettable. All the Mid-American Conference asks is that the rules that have been approved by the member institutions of the NCAA be enforced. That did not occur in this instance.”

The NCAA and its board of directors passed a rule last summer disallowing any team with a losing record from participating in a bowl game.

By admitting a 6-7 team from a BCS conference, one bowl-eligible team from a non-BCS league would miss out on a bowl invite.

The MAC has seven bowl-eligible teams, including 9-3 Toledo.

Georgia Tech is a 14-point underdog to Florida State.