Changes to Lot 25

IC Staff Writer

Published: Thursday, April 26, 2012

Updated: Thursday, April 26, 2012 05:04

N_Parking.jpg

Ryan Clair/IC

Changes made to Lot 25, adjacent to Rocket Hall, will begin May 7 and reopen Aug. 13.

Lot 25 by Rocket Hall will be closed beginning May 7 as it receives a new look, said Facilities and Grounds Services Director Doug Collins.

“The safety of pedestrians and drivers will be enhanced and the Rocket Hall area will be more attractive and accessible to everyone in the UT and greater Toledo communities.” Collins said.

The project will add 185 to 200 extra parking spots to the UT campus, with an additional 40 to 50 spots on the north side of the lot.

Collins said plans have been underway for over eight months and cost close to $2 million.

The new parking lot, part of the UT Gateway Project, will have new features to go along with the added spaces, which will add to the safety and look of the lot, Collins said. Some of the new features will include:

•     Parking area restructuring and repaving

•    A pedestrian walkway from Central Avenue to residence halls on West Rocket Drive

•    Landscaped and curbed islands with native trees

•    A handicap-accessible crosswalk to Americans With Disabilities Act standards

•    Concrete crosswalk and bus drop-off entrance to Rocket Hall

•    LED parking lights

Students like Marla Rayle, a freshman majoring in astronomy, are excited about the new changes.

“Most students hate the limited parking,” she said. “The new additions will really help the students out.”

While the lot is closed, temporary parking will be available at the University Medical Center as well as Lot 27B, the lot adjacent to Ottawa House and The Crossings lot, Collins said.

UTMC parking will be used for students, while the Ottawa/Crossings lot will be used for handicap and visitor parking.

In the early stages of planning, Facilities and Grounds Services first checked the soil to see if it was safe to build on.

Over the summer they will be re-stoning and putting new asphalt on the lot, along with adding more spots.

Collins said this will be added because “pedestrian safety is important and the original lot had lived its life.”    

Collins said he hopes the new parking lot will provide better safety, better parking and become an interactive area for students, faculty and visitors.

The parking lot will be reopened Aug. 13 before students return in the fall.