New SG leaders sworn into positions

Copy Editor

Published: Thursday, April 26, 2012

Updated: Thursday, April 26, 2012 05:04

N_Leaders.jpg

Ryan Clair/IC

Newly appointed SJC Chair Tate Stricklin takes his oath at Tuesday night’s Senate meeting.

Student Government celebrated this year’s accomplishments and welcomed new members who were sworn in at Student Senate Tuesday night.

Senate held their last session of the school year as well as the first session of the upcoming year.

During the session, former SG President Matt Rubin gave the State of the Students Address.

“I’m very happy to report that the state of the students is good,” Rubin said.

Rubin went on to discuss this year’s SG accomplishments, including the installation of bike corrals, the addition of “Share the Road” signs put on campus roadways, the largest Big Event and an updated SG website because of web administrator Ernie Brancheau.

Rubin also acknowledged several other senators and their individual accomplishments, like Senator Omar Subei for his work on getting an Islamic ritual cleansing room installed in the Student Union Building and Senator Tony Bova for his work on the UT Green Fund.

Rubin said the elections this year would be a learning experience for SG.

“You’re the future and I believe in you,” Rubin said while addressing the senate.

The first people sworn in during the first session of the next school year were SG President Paulette Bongratz and Vice President Chris Dykyj.

The Student Judicial Council approved four new members, including Tate Stricklin, who replaced Aaron Dau as chief justice.

Dau said SJC represents students in code of conduct hearings and oversees official SG judiciary business such as elections and impeachments.

Stricklin plans to use his position to help make students more aware of what SJC does and to revise and enforce both the SJC and Election Board manuals so they can be used properly.

Stricklin said his experience with the Ohio Revised Code makes him an “excellent candidate for the position.”

The other new justices were Danielle Gamble, Alejandro Vera and Kaitlyn Filzer. James Adams was appointed but will be sworn in next semester because he could not attend Tuesday’s meeting.

Also sworn in were 12 senators and one senator at-large, Brent Teall.

Lauren Jencen and Emily Kramp were elected as the new senate chair and vice chair respectively, replacing Heather Engle and Mike Hicho.

Jencen plans to get the caucus chairs in the senate more involved with their colleges as well as bring the senate closer together.

“I’ve noticed a lot of hostility, especially in debate,” she said.

Jencen said she wants to plan events where the senators can get to know one another better.

She said despite having a rough year, she feels SG is in good hands.

“I can already tell that we have a great year of senate coming up and we’re going to learn from our mistakes,” she said.

Various senate committee chairs were also elected, including Matt Ellis as Finance and Operations Committee chair, Clayton Notestine as Public Relations and Membership Committee chair, Bryan Kitchen as Academic Affairs Committee chair, Adekemi Ademuyewo as Housing and Residence Life Committee chair and Ben Lynn as Student Services, Information and Public Safety Committee chair.

The senate also elected former senate chair Engle as legislative secretary and Katherine Saine as recording secretary.

Senator of the Year went to former SSIPS Chair Jimmy Momenee, and Cabinet Member of the Year went to Justin Veigel.