University of Toledo stabbing confirmed as homicide; coroner says slain student had defensive wounds

News Editor

Published: Friday, December 28, 2012

Updated: Friday, December 28, 2012 10:12

Galat Headshot

Galat

The Dec. 19 on-campus stabbing death of a University of Toledo student has been ruled a homicide by the Lucas County coroner’s office.

Josiah Galat, who was a senior majoring in mechanical engineering, died due to several stab wounds to both sides of his neck, said Diane Scala-Barnett, a Lucas County deputy coroner. 

She said the weapon struck Galat’s jugular, resulting in a “tremendous amount of blood lost in a short amount of time.” 

Scala-Barnett said Galat also had defensive wounds on his hands, which are caused when a victim tries to shield themselves from an attack or grab the weapon.

The only remaining part of the coroner’s investigation is a toxicology report, which Scala-Barnett said will not be finished for at least another six weeks.

Police have not released any further information about the other student involved, Erik Littleton, a sophomore engineering major.

University of Toledo Police Chief Jeff Newton said in a statement that the department is still investigating the Horton International House incident.

“The university appreciates the community's patience as we conduct a thorough investigation of what happened,” he said. 

After initial reports stated the death resulted from an altercation between the two students, numerous friends of Galat took to social media sites, saying they don’t believe Galat was the aggressor in the incident.

A memorial Facebook page titled In Loving Memory of Josiah Galat was started on Dec. 20 and friends and family are posting pictures, videos and sentiments in his honor.

Galat, 20, transferred to UT this fall after attending Ashland University, where he studied special education. He was a member of the Toledo Celtics Rugby Club, and was working toward becoming a member of the U.S. Marine Corps.