Blue takes third annual Blue-Gold Match
The Toledo volleyball squad returned to Savage Arena Friday night for the third annual Blue-Gold match where the Blue squad earned a 2-1 (22-25, 25-18, 25-19) victory.
Junior middle blocker Dakota Harkins, one of many key returning players for the Rockets, led the way for the Blue team with six kills and a .417 attack percentage. Senior outside hitter Sandra Parys had a team-high seven kills.
Junior Jordan Kielty paced the Gold with a game-high nine kills. She also added 20 assists.
The Gold team took the first set 25-22 in a back-and-forth affair that featured eight ties, including deadlocks at 18, 19 and 21.
The Gold squad took four of the final five points to win the first set.
In the second set, the Blue squad responded and knotted-up the match up at one set apiece.
Team Gold got off to a fast start, taking an early 7-1 advantage and appeared to be on their way to taking the match. However, the blue team won 10 of the next 14 points to tie the set at 11.
The Blue squad stayed hot to open-up a 22-17 lead and eventually tied the match at one set each on a kill from Harkins.
In the third and deciding set, the Blue team took a 7-6 lead and didn’t look back, winning the set 25-19. Parys recorded a kill and two errors by the Gold squad sealed the deal.
The Blue team totaled 35 kills and committed only two service errors all night.
UT will get the regular season underway Friday in Columbus with the Ohio State Sports Imports Classic. Their first match is against Houston.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More independentcollegian News Articles
Recent independentcollegian News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR INDEPENDENTCOLLEGIAN NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST INDEPENDENTCOLLEGIAN NEWS
- UT board approves contract, $392,700 salary for Naganathan
- Trustees name simulation center after Jacobs
- Advertise with The Independent Collegian
- Read Lloyd Jacobs' contract as president emeritus
- Engineering dean named interim University of Toledo president
- Jacobs to step down at the end of June
- Tuition hike proposed for 2014-2015 school year
RECENT INDEPENDENTCOLLEGIAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Erase Strokes From Your Golf Game -- No Pencil Required
- Boomers Find Reason to Celebrate With Vacations
- Shave Strokes off Your Golf Game -- Without the Eraser
- Stay Cool With a Ceiling Fan as Stylish as It Is Functional
- Have a Blast With the Family This Summer, but Stay Safe
- Chiropractic Careers Are on the Rise
- Choosing the Right Home Health Care Agency
- Pop the Champagne Diamond for Your Seasonal Fashion...
- Managing Pain: Are You Reading Your Medicine Labels?
- Does Your Garbage Want to Be Recycled?