Cermak qualifies for 2012 U.S. Amateur
UT sophomore Pat Cermak qualified for the 2012 United States Amateur after finishing one-under par (72-71) over 36 holes at Oakwood Country Club in Coal Valley, Ill.
The Chicago native drained a 30-foot putt on the 17th hole and made par on the 18th to qualify for a four-man playoff. The top two golfers advanced to the tournament. Cermak pared the first playoff hole, earning a trip to Cherry Hills Country Club in Colorado for the 2012 U.S. Amateur.
“I’m very excited,” said Cermak. “It’s the best amateur tournament in the world. This is what you play for as an amateur golfer. You practice to try and get in this tournament and it’s very exciting.”
The last time Cherry Hills hosted the U.S. Amateur was in 1990, when an Arizona State sophomore named Phil Mickelson became the first left-handed golfer to win the tournament.
“It’s an honor to be in the same tournament as Phil Mickelson and Tiger Woods and many guys on tour that have played and just to be a part of that is very cool,” Cermak said. “I’m just going to soak in the whole experience, but at the same time I’m going to have to game plan and do the best I can to advance and try to hit as many fairways and greens as I can.”
As big as this tournament is, Cermak understands that the best game plan is to keep things simple, making smart shots and focusing on fundamentals like his swing.
“I still have to try and hit fairways and easy reads but I really have to figure out where I want to be putting from,” Cermak said. “At the same time I have to keep it simple with my golf swing. It’s just like any other golf tournament.”
As important as it is to play this tournament like any other golf tournament, preparation is not limited to the physical aspect. It must also include mental focus and composure when squaring off with the best amateurs in the country.
“The goal is to not be intimidated by anyone, just stay focused and mentally go out there with the same game plan that I would in any other tournament,” Cermak said.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More independentcollegian News Articles
Recent independentcollegian News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR INDEPENDENTCOLLEGIAN NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST INDEPENDENTCOLLEGIAN NEWS
- Advertise with The Independent Collegian
- Read Lloyd Jacobs' contract as president emeritus
- Engineering dean named interim University of Toledo president
- Jacobs to step down at the end of June
- Tuition hike proposed for 2014-2015 school year
- Board of Trustees sign contract to find new president
- Scarborough announced as future president of University of Akron
RECENT INDEPENDENTCOLLEGIAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Shave Strokes off Your Golf Game -- Without the Eraser
- Stay Cool With a Ceiling Fan as Stylish as It Is Functional
- Have a Blast With the Family This Summer, but Stay Safe
- Chiropractic Careers Are on the Rise
- Choosing the Right Home Health Care Agency
- Pop the Champagne Diamond for Your Seasonal Fashion...
- Managing Pain: Are You Reading Your Medicine Labels?
- Does Your Garbage Want to Be Recycled?
- You Can Quit
- Pinching Penny Stocks May Be the Wise Way to Invest