Album review: new Papa Roach

By Anastasia Ellis
On September 2, 2010

Annihilation is Just Another Word For Destruction

After the release of five albums, "Time For Annihilation" joins the collection of mind-piercing, thoughtfully crafted songs from the band.

"We always say ‘time for annihilation' right before we perform," said Papa Roach Frontman Jacoby Shaddix.

Tuesday night the rock group u-streamed live to 737 viewers on the Internet to talk and answer questions about the new album, "Time For Annihilation," which came out Aug 31.

Wearing sunglasses and drinking Lipton Ice tea, Shaddix talked about everything from their favorite song to play, "Hollywood Whore," to the inspiration behind the song "No Matter What."

"I have been married 13 years and I like to write about the hard times of love," Shaddix said.

"Time For Annihilation" is viciously honest, combining hard rocking with dark and light influences. Easily relatable concepts with stressed guitar solos are sure to have your head jamming along with the beat.

"Burn," the fiery first track on the album, will have you pushing the repeat button, and has a striking feel with sinister drums and explosive percussion rhythm. The third track is "Kick in the Teeth," which is the first single released from "Time for Annihilation," is currently blasting its way up the charts.

I am not the biggest fan of today's rock music; however, despite the use of foul language, I enjoyed the album. I loved the powerful love ballad "No Matter What." It speaks volumes about what life means with thought provoking and upbeat lyrics.

For those of you who don't know who this rock band is, the group has been on the scene since 1993, but remained more local until 2000. The band is named after Shaddix's step-grandfather, Howard William Roach, who was nicknamed Papa Roach.

From northern California, with rap and punk influences, Papa Roach eventually grew into the hard rock band you hear today. However, Shaddix said he still enjoys listening to rappers like Eminem, whom he said he likes to jam to when working out.

Papa Roach released their first full-length album, "Old Friends from Young Years," in 1997. Their second album Infest went to triple platinum thanks to the success of "Last Resort." Since the release of this album the band has grown from rap-influenced rock to a more mature and straightforward hard rock sound.

The album includes five new studio recordings, followed by nine turn the music up live performances of Papa Roach classics.

AOL Music is hosting a listening party all week to listen to the full CD. Check it out if you are a fan of Papa Roach or want to broaden your music library. The album can be purchased on iTunes and on Amazon for $7.99.