Humans vs. Zombies event to begin soon

By Kimberly Roland
On April 5, 2012

Have you ever noticed a group of people running after another student who’s wearing a blue bandana around their arm or thigh? Well, don’t worry about the student being chased – they knew being hunted by other students was part of the deal when they signed up to participate in UT’s spring semester game of Humans vs. Zombies.

The week-long game of HvZ is an extreme Nerf-based challenge hosted by UT’s Ad-Hoc.

It should be noted that this is not just a free-for-all kind of game – there are some rules and regulations which players must follow.

To participate in HvZ, a student must attend one meeting concerning safety guidelines as well as turning in a safety waiver.

Once the safety requirements are met, players receive a bandana and begin the game.

The rules are pretty simple. One thing players need to do is make sure their bandana is visible at all times. The identifying factor between the humans and the zombies is the bandana placement. If a player is a human, the bandana is worn around their upper arm or upper thigh. If or when they get tagged, the bandana is moved to their forehead.

When entering into the game zone, which pretty much counts as anywhere on campus, a player’s mission as a human is to escape getting tagged by zombies. As a zombie, the mission is to tag as many human players as possible.

Additional missions throughout the week will keep combatants on their toes. Josh Egler is a freshman majoring in political science and journalism and a moderator for HvZ. A leader for the humans, Egler said there are multiple new missions planned, including a finale which “should be a lot of fun.”

“We’re changing things up this year so the humans have a chance,” he said. “It’s not a good chance but it’s a chance.”

Humans can ward off their undead opponents with “blasters” – modified Nerf guns – and socks that function as grenades. If they’re unsuccessful, however, they can be tagged by a zombie, turning them into a “stunned zombie,” meaning that all humans surrounding that person have a fifteen-minute grace period to evacuate the area before that player has officially turned into a zombie.

Special registered ID cards are given to all human players before beginning the mission and when a person is tagged their ID card is collected and must be reported as a “kill” within three hours for the capture to count.

HvZ has been a UT event for four semesters and Ad-Hoc is always welcoming new faces to accept the challenge of surviving the brain-eating zombie Rockets.

Egler said this year’s event will be improved by having “more established leaders” for each faction.

Shaniqua Bowdre, a senior majoring in new media art and an organizer of HvZ, said the game has a turnout between approximately 150 and 200 students and in the past faculty members also competed. Additionally, Bowdre said the game gives UT an edge over other colleges.

“Bowling Green also has Humans versus Zombies events and of course we couldn’t just let them have all the fun,” she said. “We had to compete!”

Egler, who played in last year’s event, said newcomers should come out for an exciting time and to meet new people. He even encourages people to become zombies.

“[It’s] just fun because you don’t care. I chased a guy down who was trying to run away,” he said. “That one was fun.”

The last safety meeting is April 11 in the Student Union Building, and safety waivers can be picked up at the Ad-Hoc office in the Student Union Building, room 1505. More specific rulings which players should be aware of can be found on Ad-Hoc’s website at www.ut-adhoc.com. HvZ also has a Facebook group page that alerts members of events and answers further questions they might have.