Intro to fall 2010 TV line-up

By Jason Mack
On September 20, 2010

1. Jersey Shore - Isn't this show just The Real World with annoying accents? Spoiler alert: Snooki and the rest of the oddly-named gang will continue getting drunk, sleeping around and yelling at each other in every single episode. MTV is years removed from having anything to do with music, but they could at least put out more quality shows like "Rob and Big" every nowand then.

2. American Idol - Despite declining ratings and the departure of three out of four judges, the higher-ups at Fox are taking the greedy route and pushing on for a 10th season. The ship is sinking, and they are attempting to patch the holes with Jenifer Lopez and Steven Tyler. It was nice seeing local product Crystal Bowersox succeed last season, but it would be nicer to see the show end after this year. That is wishful thinking considering the show still draws the most ratings each week.

3. Dancing with the Stars - Worse than the fact that this yet another pointless dancing show is that they have the nerve to call the contestants stars. The show relies on retired athletes and second-hand celebrities who are all desperate for attention - and they are starting to run out. You cannot pick a handful of household names out of their 11 seasons worth of contestants.

4. America's Got Talent - All this show accomplishes is proving the exact opposite of its title. The winners from all five seasons have been singers. Isn't that why they have American Idol? To be fair, one winner was also a ventriloquist. I'm sure that was a fun season when there's nothing that can beat out a guy and his dummy.

5. NCIS: Los Angeles -- This is the only non-reality show to make the list. It's of an equally bad breed of TV trends: lazy spinoffs that change the location and actors and call it a new show. This is actually a spinoff of a spinoff, with NCIS coming from JAG. Were Chris O'Donnell and LL Cool J really the best they could do? Robin and a failed rapper?

1. Boardwalk Empire - Steve Buscemi stars in this 1920s gangster drama from the producer of "The Sopranos." HBO seems incapable of producing anything other than stellar shows. Buscemi stars as a government treasurer in Atlantic City in the 1920s during the time of prohibition. Plenty of corruption and bootlegging ensues, and the result is a great drama. [Sundays at 9 p.m. on HBO.]

2. The Event - The people behind the show have compared many of its concepts to Lost, which sounds ambitious, but promising. The show starts with the president shutting down a mysterious military prison. That leads to terrorism and political intrigue. Jason Ritter stars as a guy looking for his abducted girlfriend. Somehow these occurrences are all connected by, and eventually lead to, some "event" that is being kept secret. [Mondays at 9 p.m. on NBC.]

3. Undercovers - This romantic action drama comedy about a married couple who also happen to be spies sounds played out, but J.J. Abrams has to be given the benefit of the doubt. The main characters, Steven and Samantha, are being pulled back into the spy life after leaving the business to become caterers. [Wednesdays at 8 p.m. on NBC.]

4. Running Wilde - Fans of the underrated classic Arrested Development should rejoice. This show stars Will Arnett, features David Cross and was co-created by Mitch Hurwitz, the mastermind behind Arrested Development. Arnett stars opposite Keri Russell as the spoiled heir to an oil company. He is reunited with his childhood crush (Russell), who happens to be an environmental activist. [Tuesdays at 9:30 p.m. on FOX.]

5. Hawaii Five-0 - Remakes almost never succeed, but this one has a shot. With a good mix of action, comedy and explosions, this show should be pure fun. [Mondays at 10 p.m. on CBS.]

1. Chuck - The spy comedy every nerd loves is back for a fourth season. The show mixes in a good blend of action and drama while remaining funny. That should continue this season as Chuck searches for his mother (played by Linda Hamilton) while continuing to explore his relationship with fellow superspy Sarah. Anyone new to the show should catch up on seasons 1-3 before attempting to watch. [Mondays at 8 p.m. on NBC.]

2. It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia - The show has often been accurately described as Seinfeld on crack. In the season premier last Thursday, the gang already addressed the topics of gay marriage, suicide and transvestites. This aggressive comedy is not meant for those with any shame. [Thursdays at 10 p.m. on FX.]

3. How I Met Your Mother - Will this finally be the season Ted meets his wife? It appears likely with Jennifer Morrison being cast for a significant role. Neil Patrick Harris should shine this season as his character Barney finally acknowledges he is not Bob Barker's son. [Mondays at 8 p.m. on CBS.]

4. Community - Joel McHale and the rest of the cast came out of nowhere with the best new comedy last year. There is plenty of drama with McHale's character Jeff torn between three different romantic interests. Betty White (not a romantic interest) guest stars in what should be a promising premier. [Thursdays at 8 p.m. on NBC.]

5. The Office - The show has slowly been going downhill, but that should change this season. With Steve Carell announcing he will not be returning for a 7th season, the producers plan to cut loose with Michael Scott this year. Michael will be contacting all his former romantic interests, including Holly and Jan. The most promising story line features Michael going into therapy with Toby as his counselor. [Thursdays at 9 p.m. on NBC.]