Science themes explored in evolving exhibit

By Amanda Eggert
On January 16, 2013

A new Center for Visual Arts exhibit showcases artists’ works in unique and collaborative ways.

“The Nexus: Exploring the Link Between Art and Science” is an evolving and experimental exhibit hosted by UT’s department of art and department of physics and astronomy.

The exhibit extends beyond the CVA to the first floor of Carlson Library on UT’s Main Campus.

Both locations feature science-themed student artwork, which include faux galaxies, 3D chimera art and print works exploring cellular form.

Additionally, students will add on to their installations each week, and visitors are encouraged to return often as the event unfolds.

The collection of the artwork first went on display Monday. The CVA exhibit will remain open until Feb. 3, but the Carlson exhibit will stay up throughout the entire semester.

An artists’ reception is scheduled for Friday, Feb. 1, from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. at the CVA’s Main Gallery. The exhibit and reception is free and open to the public.

Two lectures will also be held as part of the exhibit.

Tyler Nordgren, an artist and astronomer, will display his astronomy-themed photography in the CVA’s Clement Gallery from Feb. 15 through March 15. A full professor of physics and astronomy at the University of Redlands, Nordgren will also lecture at Ritter Planetarium Feb. 13, at 7 p.m. His lecture is titled “Capturing Natural Night.”

As a guest of UT’s art department, Rosamond Purcell, an artist and photographer, will speak about her work, which explores natural history and the natural world in mid-March.

In a press release, CVA Gallery Director Ben Pond described the exhibit as a collaboration between science and art.

“Through this process, students will be learning that creativity has connections not only to the visual arts but to every discipline. It’s designed to get them to more thoughtfully examine their worlds, and then to apply critical thinking skills as to how they will develop an installation that best presents what they learned or found,” Pond said.