Senior films to premiere in showcase tomorrow

By Kimberly Roland
On April 26, 2012

IC Staff Writer

For many students, the must-watch film season begins during summer break with million-dollar blockbusters. For UT senior film majors, it begins tomorrow.

The UT Senior Film Showcase starts tomorrow at the Center for Performing Arts. The showcase will feature a sprinkling of different film genres and narratives, including documentaries and experimental films.

Tammy Kinsey, associate professor of film, said all seniors majoring in film were not required to submit pieces but a good handful typically do.

Katie Martin, a senior honors student majoring in film, submitted one of her films for the showcase. She is also the president of the UT Film and Video Society.

Martin’s piece follows a rock star’s glory days and is seen through the perspective of the faded manager. She said it has the appeal of a show like VH1’s “Behind the Music” but with a film major’s touch.

Martin said she worked on the film as part of her “Directing for Camera” course.

According to Martin, it is not her best work and things are not completely polished, but she prefers it that way.

“I want people to be able to laugh,” she said. “I want them to know that a human made this – not everything has to be perfect.”

Martin said she hopes the audience can see all the hard work she and other seniors put into their pieces.

She also wants to raise awareness for the One Million Bones Project, a cause students from the Arts Living Learning Community have worked on for the past few months.

“A trailer for One Million Bones will be shown at the showcase,” she said. “I’m hoping many are impacted by the footage we’ve taken of our students actually making [clay] bones to contribute to the project which has gone universally with other universities across the country.”

The One Million Bones Project deals with the devastating aftermath of genocide occurring in Africa.

Martin, a former biology major, said her decision to switch followed a realization that her interest in film was more than just a hobby and she wanted to pursue a career in it.

She said although some might be skeptical of job placement post-graduation, she’s not worried and plans on pursuing a master’s degree in California.

The theatre and film department hosted a similar event back in March. The Student Film Showcase was a juried competition and awarded prizes to the top films. The competition was open to all film majors. 20 films were viewed at the showcase, including two from Martin.

The senior film showcase is scheduled for tomorrow and is free and open to the public. Donations are accepted and will go towards the future of UT’s theatre and film department.