Taking the college life one step at a time

By Nathan Elias
On August 24, 2009

Whether you're fresh out of high school, recently transferred to UT, or a college veteran, the beginning of the semester is stressful for anyone. But with a little guidance or words of comfort, maybe the first few weeks your fall 2009 college experience can be a little relieved. Speaking for myself, the butterflies have been unsettled for the past week or so. I know I'm not the only one losing sleep over financial aid, textbooks, study habits, how to be, and what to take with me while I'm here. Freshman year was an entirely different adventure from anything I had expected. For any new comers reading this -- be prepared to get lost looking for classes, understand that you have probably already bitten off more than you will be able to chew, and you may be an entirely different person by the end of the first semester.

This is merely a part of life and the obstacles coming your way are going to open your mind, change you for the better, and prepare you for whatever it is that exists after our short-lived college careers.

If you're housing somewhere in the outskirts of Toledo or if you're living on campus, do no be afraid to leave your quiet, safe quarters. You couldn't imagine what will be waiting for you. If you're a sports fan, the Rocket football season will be starting at the beginning of September and all games are free entry with your Rocket I.D. For the theater lovers, the UT Theater and Film department will be putting on performances of Moliere's "The Doctor In Spite of Himself" and Treadwell's "Machinal" this semester, auditions being held Aug. 26 and 27 from 6 to 10 at the Center for Performing Arts. There will be a documentary film series held at the CPA every other Friday at 7:30 p.m. beginning this week.

Looking for somewhere to have a responsible drink and hear some smooth Jazz? Starting at the end of September, Murphy's Jazz club located downtown on Summit Street. will host UT Jazz Night every other Monday with a $3 entry fee for students. Do you have a flare for writing, spoken word, or open mic performances? Stop in to the Ground Level coffee house located at Central and Douglas on Mondays at 8 p.m. for open mic night or Thursdays at 8 p.m. for poetry night. If you're looking for a group of people to chill with, check out UT's favorite hookah bars, Maxwell's and the The Oasis for a calm social setting.

If none of these fine methods of entertainment suit you or if you're more concerned about your education as opposed to social life, there is no harm in spending your time at the Carlson Library with a stack of books. Good study habits will make your college life far less complicated than you know. Electronic media is also available on the third floor of Carlson.

If you're having trouble with the massive load of papers being assigned to you, feel free to visit the Writing Center located across the hall from the Carlson Library where free peer and professional tutoring services are offered to help and encourage students with their writing.

No matter what your background, history, major or reason for attending college, we are all at the University of Toledo and we can all help to share a positive college experience. With the world in the palm of our hands and bright future's ahead of us all, I encourage everyone to have a beneficial and fun fall semester here at the UT. The Glass City can be a wonderful place with the right attitude. There is something in this city for everyone to enjoy so be head strong, don't forget why you're here, and make the best of your stay.