CVA exhibit combines old and new styles

On August 22, 2012

A new exhibit at the Center for the Visual Arts main gallery features works that combine modern technology and traditional techniques.

The Half & Half summer art show is hosted by the Toledo chapter of the AIGA, formerly the American Institute of Graphic Arts. Artists were challenged to create “digital and of the hand” pieces.

As long as they stuck to this rule, artists were allowed to select their own themes and media.

According to CVA Gallery Director Ben Pond, the AIGA committee wanted to put together a show that would feature a new approach to art highlighting new practices.

“We want students to see the show and become more open to new ideas,” he said.

Matt Rowland is the community outreach chair for Toledo’s AIGA chapter and a member of the show’s organizing committee. He said the 41 featured artists provide a wide range of topics that can resonate with everyone.

Selected compositions include a 3-D sculpture of a head to paintings made using peanut butter and chocolate.

A painting by artist and former UT art instructor Dan Hernandez looks like a simple painting from a distance but is filled with small details, including Super Mario clouds and trees alongside an image of Jesus kneeling. The combination is odd and striking, and it encourages viewers to search for more hidden characters.

A piece featuring inspirational quotes such as “The first step to success is to believe in it,” presents them in Twitter format. The layout of the art is presented in a way that will attract the younger generation and convey a strong message.

Both Pond and Rowland said they were pleased with how the show turned out.

“The gallery looks great, they did a great job selecting and installing. I am already getting compliments,” Pond said.Artists from all across the area submitted work to be featured in this unique show.Although there are no UT students in the show, Rowland said he would like to have students in future shows.“We want to get more exposure out to students,” he saidPast shows presented by the AIGA have been geared towards graphic designers. This year’s show provides a wider variety of techniques.“It gives people who sit at their desk eight hours-a-day a chance to step away and try something new,” Rowland said. There will be a closing party for the show Friday, Sept. 7. The party will be an informal meet and greet where the public can ask the artists questions about their works. Rowland described it as a “come-as-you-are-type party.”Pond said the party is meant to be a celebration of the opportunities the show provided. The committee members made it clear the gathering is a great opportunity for students to stop by and investigate what some of the other artists are doing in the Toledo area. “I hope the party is well-attended,” Pond said.The show will be on display to the public in the University of Toledo CVA Gallery until Friday, Sept. 7. A closing reception will be held that day from 6 to 8 p.m. For more information, visit the AIGA website at www.toledo.aiga.org.