Final Destination showcases gore and special effects

On August 22, 2011

"Final Destination 5," the newest in the long line of supernatural slasher films, follows a simple formula.

First, a group of unwilling youngsters avoid a terrible disaster thanks to one of them having a psychic vision. Second, death is portrayed as a force of nature which does not take kindly to a lack of victims and proceeds to kill off anyone who avoided the disaster one-by-one. Third, the deaths are always over the top and normally consist of some sort of "Rube Goldberg" style death constructed from everyday objects.

In this movie, said disaster is a rather spectacular bridge collapse that would make any engineer cringe.

After the characters survive, the plot moves on in the predictable way the prior films laid the groundwork for. However, "Final Destination 5" manages to put a small but noticeable twist on the series.

In the past, individuals could survive by just avoiding the killer traps that death constructs for them. However, in this movie, they can only extend their lives by killing someone else.

By killing someone else they end up stealing however much time that person had left to live. This moral quandary is not explored much, but it does add a bit of flavor to a rather stale franchise.

As expected, the deaths are as over-the-top as the previous films, dragging us to the main hurdle that this film needs to jump. All-in-all, this movie is for people who find entertainment in the orchestra of gore conducted by supernatural forces. If you are not going into this movie to experience that, then you are most likely not going to enjoy it at all.

Horror audiences and movies these days are all about their gore-tastic death scenes.

This movie is aware of that and before the final credits roll, it treats us to a montage of deaths from the prior movies while AC/DC's "If You Want Blood, You Got It" plays in the background. Similar scenes are found throughout the movie and add much needed dark humor to compliment the viewer's apparent pleasure in the misfortune of others.

"Final Destination 5" is not really made to win over any new fans or critics, the acting is -decent and the special effects are top-notch. Fans of the series will love it and people who have had no interest in the prior movies will hate it. I would recommend seeing it if you stand in the middle ground, and I feel that it is the best of the sequels thus far.