Library hours extended during finals week
Student Government is moving forward with an initiative which will allow students to utilize the upper floors of the Carlson Library after midnight during finals week.
Beginning Saturday, the second through fifth floors of the library will be open until 2 a.m. so students can go to a quieter space to study beyond the first floor.
Another piece of legislation coming from the Student Senate states Carlson Library will remain open until 11 p.m. on Friday.
On Friday, Dec. 16, the extended hours will end and the library will close at 7 p.m.
Only the first floor of the library is open 24 hours while the other floors are off limits after midnight.
According to the legislation, "students often have a need to work on homework or study late at night," "many of the assignments students work on require the Internet," and "the first floor of the Carlson Library is often crowded or noisy from midnight to 2 a.m."
Chair of the Student Senate Heather Engle, who wrote the legislation for extended library hours on the upper floors, said it is distracting when students are in the middle of studying, only to be kicked off the upper floors.
"Especially during finals week," she said. "Students need a quiet atmosphere and also shouldn't be disrupted when they are studying in the first place."
Engle said students complained about the first floor being too crowded and loud after midnight during Student Government's "Whatcha Want Wednesdays," where members of SG go around campus asking students what initiatives they would like to see brought to UT.
Carlson will also open at 11 a.m. on Saturday instead of noon.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More independentcollegian News Articles
Recent independentcollegian News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR INDEPENDENTCOLLEGIAN NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST INDEPENDENTCOLLEGIAN NEWS
- Advertise with The Independent Collegian
- Read Lloyd Jacobs' contract as president emeritus
- Engineering dean named interim University of Toledo president
- Jacobs to step down at the end of June
- Tuition hike proposed for 2014-2015 school year
- Board of Trustees sign contract to find new president
- Scarborough announced as future president of University of Akron
RECENT INDEPENDENTCOLLEGIAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Shave Strokes off Your Golf Game -- Without the Eraser
- Stay Cool With a Ceiling Fan as Stylish as It Is Functional
- Have a Blast With the Family This Summer, but Stay Safe
- Chiropractic Careers Are on the Rise
- Choosing the Right Home Health Care Agency
- Pop the Champagne Diamond for Your Seasonal Fashion...
- Managing Pain: Are You Reading Your Medicine Labels?
- Does Your Garbage Want to Be Recycled?
- You Can Quit
- Pinching Penny Stocks May Be the Wise Way to Invest