'Love gone wrong' the theme of Department of Film's Film Fridays series

By Leila Gum
On September 8, 2011

The Department of Film recently released its lineup for this semester's series of late-night Film Fridays with the theme "Love Gone Wrong," beginning Sept. 23.

"The whole idea is not to mimic a commercial theatrical place, but to create an environment where the UT and outside community can merge together in a fairly inexpensive way and share a common experience by watching the same movie," said Holly Hey, assistant professor of theatre, who is also in charge of presenting the movies.

Film Fridays is an annual event hosted by the UT Film department that includes fall and spring lineups.

The fall series will have films shown every Friday until Oct. 28. These films begin at 10 p.m. in the Lab Theatre.

In previous years the start time was 7:30 p.m., but to avoid conflicts with theatre department rehearsals and other student responsibilities, the time was changed to 10 p.m.

"I wanted to figure out a way that I could draw more students into the screenings and I wanted to program more kinds of musicals or movies that use music to tell their stories," Hey said.

To kick-start the year's new theme will be "Young at Heart," a 107-minute documentary about a group of senior citizens who form a chorus group.

"Young at Heart" follows each senior citizen, observing how the group both individually and collectively comes to love their participation in the chorus. The chorus assembles in Massachusetts then travels to different places in America, most notably the Northeast, performing songs. They cover songs ranging from classic artists such as Jimi Hendrix to more contemporary bands like Coldplay.

The choir members go through struggles with their health, personal lives and the chorus, trying to find a way to balance it all.

Ultimately, their love for music prevails over all.

Some other films that will be shown this fall include "Victor, Victoria," "Velvet Goldmine," "Tommy" and "Cannibal, The Musical."

These films all use music to tell their stories of love in and outside of art.

"Tommy," shown on Oct. 21, includes music from The Who and "Velvet Goldmine" and portrays artists from the glam-rock movement.

The spring series runs from Jan. 20 to Feb. 10. and includes "The Jazz Singer," "Truth or Dare," "Dave Chappelle's Block Party" and "Pink Floyd's The Wall."

A new addition to Film Fridays is a $3 charge for admission, which includes a free soda and popcorn.

"The reason for charging is to generate back some of the money that we spend to pay for screening rights," Hey said. "Because the screenings are open to the public and not contained in a classroom setting, anytime we show a movie, we have to pay for the rights, and screening rights for films can range from $200 to $500. It's a more than fair price considering you get admission to the film, popcorn and soda."