Multiple walk-on transfers expected

By Zach Davis
On March 31, 2011

A source close to the UT men's basketball team told the Independent Collegian yesterday to "expect multiple walk-ons to transfer within the coming weeks."

It is still unclear which walk-ons are considering a transfer. Four different walk-ons played last season for the Rockets including junior Jay Shunnar and freshmen Jess Chadwell, Zack Leahy and Richard Wonnell.

Shunnar averaged 5.6 points and one assist for the Rockets and started in 20-of-32 games. Leahy started nine games and finished with 4.8 points and 1.03 assists per contest.

Chadwell (1 ppg, 1 rpg) and Wonnell (0.7 ppg, 0.84 rpg) each started just one game and averaged under five minutes per contest.

The news comes on the heels of last Monday's exclusive where the IC was told by a source that leading scorer Malcolm Griffin and freshman point guard J.T. Thomas were "as good as gone" from next season's roster.

"I don't have anything to say about it yet," said UT Head Coach Tod Kowalczyk on Sunday upon hearing the news. "We will see."

Griffin averaged a team-high 12 points, 3.97 assists and 1.35 steals in 31 games this season. If Griffin leaves, it would be the second straight year Toledo has lost its leading scorer to transfer, after Jake Barnett (12.9 ppg) left for St. Louis after his freshman season in 2010. His loss would also mean just Hayden Humes would remain as the only player recruited by former Head Coach Gene Cross.

Thomas' season was derailed after reinjuring the fifth metatarsal in his foot which caused him to miss the beginning of the year. He played in just 19 games and averaged 4.5 points, 1.7 rebounds and 1.68 assists for the Rockets.

Thomas was also stripped of his captaincy just 14 games in after being suspended along with Griffin and Reese Holliday for a game against Alabama for "missing curfew and violating a team rule." If Thomas leaves, it would mean that of the two times in Toledo history they appointed a freshman captain, both resulted in the players transfer at the end of the season (Barnett, 2010).