After stabbing that left one dead, University of Toledo confirms both people involved as students

By Danielle Gamble
On December 20, 2012

Both victims involved in a stabbing Wednesday night that left one of them dead have been confirmed as University of Toledo students, and officials say they believe no one else was involved in what appears to be an altercation.

Josiah Galat, 20, of Mansfield, OH, a senior majoring in engineering, was found dead behind Horton International House, according to university officials.

Erik Littleton, 19, of Detroit, a sophomore majoring in engineering, was then found and transported to a local hospital.

UT Police Chief Jeff Newton said a 911 call was made around 9 p.m. Wednesday by someone unconnected to the incident, which occurred in a stairwell of the residence hall.

While Littleton is known to have serious injuries, his status has not been released.

Newton said that the victims had a “friendly relationship” prior to the altercation, and that there is “strong evidence” indicating no other individuals were involved. He said the students were rooming together over winter break, but they were not residents of I-House or roommates over the fall semester.

“We’ll be examining all the evidence, but right now there’s no plans for any charges at all,” he said.

Newton said he cannot currently confirm if drugs and alcohol were involved, but part of the investigation will include a toxicology report. He said they are also “looking at all potential video evidence.”

Larry Burns, vice president for external affairs, said although the students were staying at I-House, they were neither international students nor resident advisers.

Burns said the university has resumed normal activity while UT and Toledo police continue to investigate the incident.

Newton said he believes there is “nothing that [UTPD] could have done to prevent this.”

“I would just send a message that this is the type of incident that can happen anywhere,” he said. “The campus is very safe.”

(Story continues after video.)

Students were alerted to the incident last night when UTPD released a Timely Warning notice at about 9:45 p.m. Wednesday night, and they lifted the alert at about 5 a.m. Thursday morning.

Burns said students will be kept updated through social media, and that administrators will begin to discuss plans for a memorial service.

Burns said after I-House was secured by police, students were relocated to another area of campus.

“Anytime we have an incident that occurs, we look at it as a learning opportunity and we’re going to look at everything and see if there’s anything that we can do to make the campus safer,” Newton said.

Burns was at the scene last night with Kaye Patten Wallace, vice president for the student experience, and Chuck Lehnert, vice president of administration .

Burns said he spoke to the students staying in I-House, and the general mood was “shock, and then as time went on it was just somber, and sad that two people would do this.”

“Our faculty, our staff, are deeply saddened for the people involved,” Burns said.