Getting to know the spirited fans behind the masks

On October 4, 2012

Blue Crew

Q&A with Nature Boy, Blue Crew president.

Founded: Sept. 2, 2001.

Motto: “A rocket does not go very far without fuel; we need to ignite it with a full tank of potential!”

Crew size: Always 10 members.

How would you define your job as a spirit organization? “Our job is to pump up the crowd at games and events and to cheer on our Rockets!”

What’s with those nicknames? How and when are they chosen? “At random times. It usually happens when a member does something and a name is formed based on that action or situation.”

What does being masked mean to you? “Being masked means representing all Rockets of the past, present and future as a whole. We are masked because we do not just represent ourselves, but Rocket Nation as a whole. Rocket pride is a whole lot bigger than one person.”

What is your group doing for Homecoming? “Walking in the parade and passing out candy. This is one of our biggest and most favorite traditions.”

Q&A with Bowser and Powder Puff, True Blue president and vice president.

Founded: March 4, 2009.

Motto: “Life is too short to be awesome all the time.”

Crew size: 11 active members.

How would you define your job as a spirit organization? “Our purpose is to create a positive image of our university and its student body. We also support and promote other organizations on campus and their activities as well in an attempt to better the college experience for our fellow students. Our organization takes pride in acting as a leading face to all past, current and future Rocket Fanatics.”

What’s with those nicknames? How and when are they chosen? “They are chosen by how a person acts before and during their interview process. Whether they dance funny, say a certain thing or look a certain way.”

What does being masked mean to you? “To be in mask means being able to do something you have never been able to do, to be a part of something you have never been a part of. While in mask we are a family, and even out of group we still have that unity. Being a part of True Blue is one of the greatest things to have ever happened to us, and we have gained a lot of fantastic friendships and people to call family.”

What are you doing for homecoming? “During Homecoming we will be attending Men’s Tennis, Swimming and Diving, Softball, Football and Volleyball, so we are unable to walk in the parade.”