Music Fest 2012 to showcase more bands, involve students

On September 12, 2012

UT’s campus might get a little loud this weekend.

The third annual Music Fest will begin at 3 p.m. on Friday in the grassy area in front of the Memorial Field House.

This year’s event will feature eight musical acts, a pep rally for the football team and several interactive scenarios.

“The event will be bigger and better than the past two years,” said Larry Burns, vice president of external affairs.

Burns helped coordinate this year’s Music Fest, as well as the previous two events. He said the increase in activities is intended to attract more people, especially students.

“The more student involvement we can get, the better,” Burns said.
Student involvement seemed to be a theme for this year’s Music Fest — students voted for the opening and closing bands, The Dumb Easies and Bowling for Soup, respectively.

A contest was also held with a prize of introducing Bowling for Soup. Contestants submitted a 30-second YouTube video stating why they should introduce the band. The Music Fest committee recently selected a winner who will be revealed on Friday.

This year’s lineup was also influenced by student responses at previous Music Fests.

Country artist Glen Templeton performed at last year’s event, and based on the positive response he received from students, the Music Fest committee actively pursued country trio Gloriana for this year’s event.

Burns said the other bands were selected based on their popularity and affordability.

A committee of faculty and students selected the talent for the event, and jazz flutist Alexander Zonjic helped secure them.

Funds for Music Fest were raised through a combination of the division of external affairs’ Music Fest budget and local sponsors, including The Blade, Yark Fiat and Toledo.com
The event will also host a handful of food vendors, a wing eating competition, a photobooth, Detroit Red Wings interactive stations and a Black and White “Cash Cab.”

Rocksy, who debuted at last year’s Music Fest, will celebrate her one-year anniversary during the event.

While many additions and improvements will premiere at this year’s event, one event was removed — the finale of fireworks.

Last year, the committee received a noise complaint, so it was decided that fireworks would not be used this year.

Residents of the surrounding neighborhoods are typically given notice of the event ahead of time. Typically, they are also invited to attend the event, which began as a way to engage the local community and kick off the new academic year and football season.

Benjamin Long, a junior studying bioengineering, said he is excited to see what new entertainment will be featured this year.
“I am expecting a new, exciting experience that rivals the past in enjoyment and originality,” Long said.

Music Fest is scheduled to start at 3 p.m. on Friday in front of the Memorial Field House. The event is free and open to students, faculty and the community.