New-student orientation to start next month

On May 30, 2012

Rocket Launch, the one-day, mandatory orientation program presented every year to new students, will begin next month.

The primary goal is to help incoming freshmen and transfer students have one of their first experiences begin their educational journey successfully, according to Julie Fisher-Kinney, coordinator of the Office of New Student Orientation.

“Students will have the opportunity to meet with their academic advisor, register for classes, complete the procedures for obtaining a rocket card and also learn about the educational opportunities that UT offers,” Fisher-Kinney said in a statement.

Some of the organizations involved in helping with Rocket Launch are the Office of Student Involvement and Student Government.

SG President Paulette Bongratz will speak at each Rocket Launch ceremony and Vice President Chris Dykyj will work at the SG recruitment table.

Dykyj said Rocket Launch is important to new students because it introduces and familiarizes them with student leaders.

Dykyj also said that he is very excited to work at Rocket Launch because it would allow him to get new students eager for SG and the whole college experience.

“I am excited because I get to be one of the first to meet these students and make sure we all start off on the right foot, and I love meeting new people.” he said. “At the table we will be having recruitment for Student Government with a few other resources. We can utilize like surveys with incoming students to see their perspectives on things.

Dykyj said he will not be speaking to all of the incoming students as a whole, but he hopes to speak with most of the students individually.

“This is a great place to show school spirit and how great the university really is,” he said.

Dykyj said if there is one thing he would like the new students to walk away with is that each student at the university has the ability to create their own path that will stick with them for the rest of their lives.