University of Toledo stabbing confirmed as homicide; coroner says slain student had defensive wounds
The Dec. 19 on-campus stabbing death of a University of Toledo student has been ruled a homicide by the Lucas County coroner’s office.
Josiah Galat, who was a senior majoring in mechanical engineering, died due to several stab wounds to both sides of his neck, said Diane Scala-Barnett, a Lucas County deputy coroner.
She said the weapon struck Galat’s jugular, resulting in a “tremendous amount of blood lost in a short amount of time.”
Scala-Barnett said Galat also had defensive wounds on his hands, which are caused when a victim tries to shield themselves from an attack or grab the weapon.
The only remaining part of the coroner’s investigation is a toxicology report, which Scala-Barnett said will not be finished for at least another six weeks.
Police have not released any further information about the other student involved, Erik Littleton, a sophomore engineering major.
University of Toledo Police Chief Jeff Newton said in a statement that the department is still investigating the Horton International House incident.
“The university appreciates the community's patience as we conduct a thorough investigation of what happened,” he said.
After initial reports stated the death resulted from an altercation between the two students, numerous friends of Galat took to social media sites, saying they don’t believe Galat was the aggressor in the incident.
A memorial Facebook page titled In Loving Memory of Josiah Galat was started on Dec. 20 and friends and family are posting pictures, videos and sentiments in his honor.
Galat, 20, transferred to UT this fall after attending Ashland University, where he studied special education. He was a member of the Toledo Celtics Rugby Club, and was working toward becoming a member of the U.S. Marine Corps.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More independentcollegian News Articles
Recent independentcollegian News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR INDEPENDENTCOLLEGIAN NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST INDEPENDENTCOLLEGIAN NEWS
- Advertise with The Independent Collegian
- Read Lloyd Jacobs' contract as president emeritus
- Engineering dean named interim University of Toledo president
- Jacobs to step down at the end of June
- Tuition hike proposed for 2014-2015 school year
- Board of Trustees sign contract to find new president
- Scarborough announced as future president of University of Akron
RECENT INDEPENDENTCOLLEGIAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Shave Strokes off Your Golf Game -- Without the Eraser
- Stay Cool With a Ceiling Fan as Stylish as It Is Functional
- Have a Blast With the Family This Summer, but Stay Safe
- Chiropractic Careers Are on the Rise
- Choosing the Right Home Health Care Agency
- Pop the Champagne Diamond for Your Seasonal Fashion...
- Managing Pain: Are You Reading Your Medicine Labels?
- Does Your Garbage Want to Be Recycled?
- You Can Quit
- Pinching Penny Stocks May Be the Wise Way to Invest