University of Toledo to split one college into three

By Danielle Gamble
On January 16, 2013

The Judith Herb College of Education, Health Science and Human Services will be splitting into three separate colleges.

Main Campus Provost Scott Scarborough discussed the split with the University of Toledo Board of Trustees at Monday’s meeting. The move is part of the five-year plan Scarborough unveiled last month.

The college will be separated into the College of Health Sciences, the College of Criminal Justice and Human Services, and the Judith Herb College of Education.

During the implementation process, the interim deans will be:

Scarborough said the colleges should be functional by March 1, although the exact timeline will be decided by each college’s implementation team.

The teams have already started working on the project.

“They need to consider if that target date is doable,” Scarborough said.

The college of JECOHSHS was created in 2010 when the university underwent a large restructuring that fused the college of education with the college of HSHS, as well as other colleges across the Main Campus.

Linda Rouillard, vice president of Faculty Senate, said in an interview last month the reorganization “points to the fact that it was ill-advised in the first place to jam all of these units together.”

“I think that this is an admission that process was not thought out, and I certainly hope that the faculty in these units have had a chance to provide some input about this,” she said.

Scarborough said the previous structuring was an “experiment” in combining areas that have “pedagogical synergy.”

Education, health science and human services had been housed under the same college earlier in UT’s past.

Scarborough said ultimately, the college is splitting because “the benefits didn’t outweigh the negatives.”

“There were some cultural differences, and you lose the focus of a particular division within a larger organization,” he said. “We also saw it as making it easier for competitor universities to point to this and say UT doesn’t care about education anymore.”