Nothing new for SG

On April 12, 2012

Rather than attempt to clean up their act after continued reports of mishaps during the past week it, was very clear during Tuesday’s Student Senate meeting that business went on as usual. Throughout the meeting, confusion and lack of cohesion were very apparent. It seems the senators have polarized according to personality and the result of in-fighting, not due to ideological differences.

One senator said, since no one bothered to follow the constitution, it should simply be done away with and there was even a motion to do so. This motion was astonishingly seconded. While the motion was quickly shot down, the fact that this was motioned even in jest and formally recorded as a motion is totally unacceptable.

The core issue creating is a total lack of respect. From simply observing the body language and tone of voice of some senators, it is clear there are members who do not respect the constitution, the organization adviser, their fellow senators and most disgracefully, the student body.

Despite it all, SG seems to retain a sense of entitlement. Senate simply doesn’t take itself seriously, but they should if they want students to believe in them. The purpose of SG may be fading to oblivion but the status and prestige of the organization still lives on in the minds of the senators.

It is understandable to get bogged down at times but SG can’t perpetually exist in this state of disregard and disunity. Meetings become boring and combing through details quickly becomes tedious work. However, even the most tired of SG members should have a passion for improving the student experience.

With this in mind, SG leaders should step back and take a moment to evaluate their outlook. If there is a lack of passion and if there is any doubt that the well-being of students is the reason for the existence of SG, then why serve?

It is time for senators to wake up and follow the constitution and appropriately handle those who do not.

When the president of SG hands out a sheet titled “The Five Dysfunctions of a Team,” it became abundantly clear that there is a serious problem.

The sheet said a team that avoids accountability encourages mediocrity. Mediocrity has indeed been met. When responsibility and accountability goes out the window, the drive to fulfill any purpose is totally lost. Yet again, the purpose is to serve the students. Petty quibbling, side remarks and popularity contests do not best serve the student body.

“A team that is not focused on results loses achievement-oriented employees,” according to the listed dysfunctions. How many devoted and serious candidates or potential senators have been lost due to this lack of unity? It is true that a few remain who work for the good and betterment of SG and the student body, but being so few, it is hard for them to make headway. Once an organization begins attacking itself, the organization falls. How far can a man run while he is breaking his own legs?