Enslaved by debt

On April 5, 2012

As student loan rates increase and tuition escalates, how is survival let alone success, even possible? The majority of lower management positions in professional work places absolutely require some amount of college education but with the costs ever increasing, many feel it is not even worth the effort and debt. Routes with less education and minimum wage are now even being sought after by many, as unemployment also remains a problem.

In the days when a degree fetched a greater paycheck and a greater level of stability, many were willing to suffer the debt with the knowledge that one day it would be paid off and their family would benefit. This is no longer the case and a great many drop out, or never even attempt a higher education.

The world as it stands today view the uneducated as burn-outs or burdens on society and while that may be the case at times, not much is being done to entice the average person to go to school. Even UT, while very reasonable in comparison to other universities of equal or greater renown in the area, can still enslave a person to their debt with relative ease.

These issues are usually taken care of by state-granted financial aid, but how much the government gives is based upon the economy, which is in many ways declining. While the education of the self should be valued above most other endeavors, it certainly isn’t being made all that enticing.

The stress level which goes with being a student in general inspires a sigh and grimace from most anyone who even thinks of it. To cover basic necessities, most students work full-time jobs and are lucky if they can be close enough to home to get help from relatives. Even then, many go hungry or lack transportation. This is something most endure but why heap more onto this already overflowing plethora of woes and demands?