Return to 9/11

On September 12, 2012

Yesterday marked the 11th anniversary of the 9/11 terrorist attacks during which four planes were used in three locations, taking thousands of American lives.

This event needs to be remembered in spite of the fact that some University of Toledo students were very young when 9/11 happened. This calls for education about the causes and ramifications of the event as well as unity.

We need to be reminded of our history, recent history included, to create positive change.

People who were only in the second grade during 9/11 are now entering college as freshmen. It’s easy to forget and move on from an event which, to someone so young, was nearly half a lifetime ago. However, for others, it wasn’t long ago. It should be remembered in order if one wishes to be an informed citizen and voter.

There are similarities between 9/11 and Pearl Harbor. U.S. history with Japan in the last century can hopefully foster hope for Muslims who live under scrutiny.

Today, one of the U.S.’s greatest world allies is Japan. However, after Pearl Harbor, Japanese-Americans were discriminated against during War War II. Still today, after 9/11, Muslims in and outside of America are the subject of ridicule and oppression regardless of their lack of connection to the event. An example is the Muslim Community Center where there were protests because of its close proximity to Ground Zero.

Hopefully, our good relationship with Japan today can serve as a sign of hope to persecuted Muslims.

Some argue that holding on to a difficult memory which may foster anger and possibly hatred is not healthy or productive. However, events like this cannot be forgotten.

It’s necessary that, although we were young, to educate ourselves about the causes and ramifications of 9/11 and other events. It’s all we can do to act for the better. There’s nothing to fear from the truth and one must push beyond the false barriers to reality, education, unity and progress.

Yesterday, while there were no events at UT relating to the 9/11 terrorist attacks, flags were flown at half mast. The question remains whether or not this is enough to keep the memory alive.