Pulled fire alarm evacuates Carlson Library
A pulled fire alarm evacuated those in Carlson Library for almost 45 minutes Tuesday evening.
Shortly after 6 p.m., the fire alarms in Carlson went off, causing students to leave the premises. Toledo Fire Department arrived soon after and investigated the building.
Lt. Kevin Williamson of Station 25 of the Toledo Fire Department said someone pulled the fire alarm on the third floor near the restrooms.
By 6:40 p.m., students were allowed to enter the library.
Lt. Tony Oberneder of the University of Toledo Police Department said someone who falsely pulls a fire alarm can potentially be charged with inducing panic.
“Obviously it disrupts flow; people here are studying when all of a sudden this happens,” Oberneder said.
Mark Chase, a sophomore majoring in environmental sciences who waited throughout the duration of the incident, said he was studying calculus in the library’s basement when the alarm sounded.
“Once I saw the firefighters, I thought it was something serious,” he said.
Chase said whoever pulled the fire alarm was “certainly being moronic.”
“A lot of us were working on serious projects for serious classes, we are here to study. We’re not here to fool around,” he said.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More independentcollegian News Articles
Recent independentcollegian News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR INDEPENDENTCOLLEGIAN NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST INDEPENDENTCOLLEGIAN NEWS
- Advertise with The Independent Collegian
- Read Lloyd Jacobs' contract as president emeritus
- Engineering dean named interim University of Toledo president
- Jacobs to step down at the end of June
- Tuition hike proposed for 2014-2015 school year
- Board of Trustees sign contract to find new president
- Scarborough announced as future president of University of Akron
RECENT INDEPENDENTCOLLEGIAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Managing Pain: Are You Reading Your Medicine Labels?
- Does Your Garbage Want to Be Recycled?
- You Can Quit
- Pinching Penny Stocks May Be the Wise Way to Invest
- Growing Investment Opportunities In Green -- and Blue --...
- 5 Tips for Healthy Eating as We Age
- Comparison-Shopping for Life Insurance Made Easy
- AARP Offers Tools for Caregivers
- Getting the Best Price for Your House to Help Finance...
- Why Purchase a Fishing License?