IC Sports 2010 NFL mock draft

By Jason Mack Sr. Staff Member
On April 22, 2010

With the 2010 NFL Draft taking place tonight, the IC Sports staff has combined its NFL knowledge to produce our second annual mock draft.

The draft order was picked at random for our five staff members. IC Staff Writers Joe Mehling and Tony Bibler drew the first two picks with St. Louis and Detroit while Assistant Sports Editor Mike Bauman picks for Tampa Bay at third. Sports Editor Zach Davis and Senior Staff Member Jason Mack pick for Washington and Kansas City at picks four and five, respectively. This same order is repeated for the remainder of the picks.

To keep the mock as accurate as possible, we have not included possible trades that we believe could take place. So even if it is likely that the Browns at seven or picks 10-12 may wish to trade down, as well as other teams attempting to move into the bottom of the first round for a quarterback such as Colt McCoy or Tim Tebow, we have kept each team locked into their original draft position.

Picking a mock draft is nearly impossible, especially with the smokescreens that each team puts out before the draft begins. Then there’s the thought process that each team goes through. Even if 31 teams don’t see someone as first-round talent, it takes just one to make that selection. Just ask the Oakland Raiders. With that being said, this is how things will likely occur in our opinion in tonight’s draft.

The St. Louis Rams will draft their franchise quarterback tonight with the first overall selection in the 2010 NFL draft. The Rams have holes all over the field, but their biggest gap is at the quarterback position. Bradford will be able to contribute right away and has the size and strength to have a long career in the NFL.

— Joe Mehling is an IC Staff Writer and a freshman majoring in communication. He was hired as a writer for the IC in the fall.

Selecting Suh with their second overall pick makes sense for the Lions. Suh’s 6-4, 300 pound frame makes for an imposing presence to any offensive line trying to contain his speed and strength. He will provide an immediate impact for Detroit’s defensive line.

— Tony Bibler is the incoming Assistant Sports Editor and a junior majoring in communication. He has worked at the IC since the fall and aspires to become a professional sports team’s beat writer.

The Buccaneers gave up an NFL-worst 158.2 rushing yards per game last season, ranking 27th on defense in total yards per game (365.6). Their clear need is a defensive stopper. With Suh off the board to Detroit, the 6-4, 295 pound McCoy is a must for the Bucs.

— Mike Bauman is the Assistant Sports Editor and a senior majoring in communication. His writing has appeared in SLAM Magazine and on Pistonscast.com.

After trading for Donovan McNabb, the Redskins desperately need someone to block for their injury-prone quarterback. Coach Mike Shanahan loves athletic lineman, making Williams the slight edge over Russell Okung. Oklahoma grabs three of the top four picks.

— Zach Davis is the Sports Editor and a senior majoring in communication. He contributes to Scout.com and has previously worked as a correspondent to the Cincinnati Bengals on DraftTek.com.

If GM Scott Pioli believes in selecting the best player available, Berry is it. The offensive line is not as bad as some think with Brandon Albert and free agent Ryan Lilja. Safeties Jarrad Page and DaJuan Morgan are liabilities on the back end of the Chiefs defense, and Berry may be the best player in the draft.

— Jason Mack is a Senior Staff Member at the IC and was the Sports Editor in 2008. He also contributes to TigsTown.com with coverage of the Toledo Mud Hens.

6. Seattle Seahawks -

Russell Okung OT

Oklahoma State

Mehling: Okung, the biggest offensive tackle in the Draft, will help Seattle protect 34-year-old Matt Hasselbeck. Quarterback is less likely after giving a third and swap of second-round picks to the Chargers for Charlie Whitehurst.

7. Cleveland Browns -

C.J. Spiller HB

Clemson

Bibler: With Berry off the board, the Browns turn to an explosive offensive playmaker who could compete with Jerome Harrison for the majority of carries.

8. Oakland Raiders -

Mike Iupati G

Idaho

Bauman: After giving up 49 sacks and 97 hits to their quarterbacks in 2009, the Raiders desperately need help on the offensive line. The 6-5, 331 pound Iupati should fill that void in the Black Hole.

9. Buffalo Bills -

Bryan Bulaga OT

Iowa

Davis: After a season of watching nearly every quarterback leave with an injury, the Bills must add some offensive line depth. Bulaga is an outstanding talent and will anchor Buffalo’s line for years.

10. Jacksonville Jaguars -

Joe Haden CB

Florida

Mack: Haden’s original 40 time was slower than expected, but he ran a 4.45 on his pro day and he’s the best corner in the draft. He’d immediately replace Derek Cox and team with Rashean Mathis for one of the top corner tandems in the NFL. They also need an upgrade on the defensive line and at outside linebacker, but no player presents as much value as Haden.

11. Denver Broncos -

Dez Bryant WR

Oklahoma State

Mehling: The Broncos traded away their biggest offensive threat in Brandon Marshall, which tipped their hand towards their interest in Bryant. Paired with an offensive mastermind like head coach Josh McDaniels, Bryant has the possibility to be a serious threat in his first season for Denver.123