Supporters celebrate Obama’s re-election

By Lindsay Mahaney and Danielle Gamble
On November 7, 2012

Tuesday night found supporters of President Barack Obama on the UT campus celebrating his re-election victory over Republican challenger Mitt Romney. CNN called the election for Obama shortly after 11:15 p.m.

Landyn Jordan, a Democrat and a senior majoring in psychology, said he was thrilled to see Obama win.

Jordan, who was a campus leader for the university’s Democratic effort, said for his fellow supporters, working on the campaign made the experience “close to their heart strings.”

“When you start to go to the rallies, follow the campaign, you find out a lot about what your neighbors are,” he said. “You don’t actually have that kind of look without actually being a part of this.”

Jordan said he looks forward to Obama helping bring down unemployment.

“Lucas County especially knows Obama is bringing the auto industry, that’s where our family is,” he said. “Those are the jobs we created.”

Alex Tolfort, a Democrat and first-year graduate student studying film theory, said the results show Americans are “interested in having a real direction.”

“The proper way to build economy is to invest in it, not strip it down,” he said. “The American people showed they agree with that tonight.”

Tolfort said the biggest change he expects to see over the next four years is a national referendum on gay marriage.

“Other than that it’s just incremental steps and policies that have already been enacted,” he said.

Other than Obama’s policies, Tolfort said he is most looking forward to the end of political ad campaigns.

“I have been actively avoiding watching live television for weeks,” he said. “I watch everything on the internet now, because at least if a political ad is on the internet I can just mute it and do something else for a second.”

College Republican President Scott Mazzola, a senior majoring in psychology, was disappointed by the election results.

“I was as hopeful as anyone when he got elected, but he’s had four years,” Mazzola said. “And I’m not sure with four more years he can put new policies in place that will change anything.”

Mazzola said while he hopes the administration will improve, he thinks Obama will “take things further into the ground.”

“I really don’t think we’re going to see any economic recovery in the next four years,” he said. “You know I’m hopeful, but I really doubt that.”

Mazzola credited Romney with a great campaign, and said Republicans should not be disappointed.

“I think he campaigned in the right areas and I know people here worked really hard,” he said. “We just got to the point where a lot of Americans have their priorities out of order.”

“I think in four years Republicans will have a much better shot,” Mazzola said.

Kenneth Harbin, a senior majoring in chemistry, said he’s interested in seeing how Obama will work with Republicans.

“In order to get that done he’s going to have to cross the aisle and he’s never done that in the first four years,” he said.

Harbin said Romney “did not articulate his message as clearly as he could have, or people were not listening as they should have.”

“Personally, it’s sad to be in America,” Harbin said. “I think it’s a little disappointing what happened.”

Nick McCullough, a freshman majoring in political science, voted for the first time this year. He took advantage of UT’s transportation services, which bused students to area voting locations.

McCullough said he is “very conservative on most issues,” which is why he voted for Romney.

Iesha Holland, a freshman majoring in athletic training, also voted for the first time. She said when she voted at noon with several other UT students, there was almost no wait.

Holland said she voted for Obama because his plan was more in line with her personal views.

“I voted for him because I know Mitt Romney, he honestly has some great points and some great plans, but I wanted to vote for a president that has a lot to do and pertains with me and my situation,” she said.