To prevent shooting incidents, catch people before their breaking point

On August 22, 2012

Last week’s shooting at Texas A&M brought campus safety into the news once again. With every new incident like this one, the question of gun control is again opened.

While it might seem that removing firearms from society is the answer, gun control isn’t the answer to the problem at hand; education is. Concern shouldn’t be about guns themselves, but the existing culture of fear and hatred. Education and seeking out solutions to people who use guns negatively are the keys to addressing the real problem. Government control won’t solve what’s facing universities and society.

The phrase “guns don’t kill people, people kill people” is common. While it’s often said in a satirical tone with the addition of “…with guns,” the fact remains people who cause harm will do so either way. Carnage caused by guns can be done using many mediums.

To fix the problem, people must be educated about statistics of gun crimes in society and gun safety. The problem is the people who use guns against others. Finding out why these people crack and predicting their actions in order to get these people preventive care is more effective.The government’s putting laws into place to prevent people from having and using guns will be completely ineffective. Generally speaking, people who kill innocent people in public places don’t follow laws.

However, many argue enforcing Second Amendment rights is an infringement on another’s right and safety in society as a whole. There should at least be a level of control preventing ownership of certain weapons with a high firing rate per minute.

While controlling types of weapons doesn’t fully infringe on the rights of the individual, it also doesn’t solve the problem. Society will remain plagued with fear and hate, people will remain uneducated, and lunatics probably won’t follow gun control laws.