We're still independent and serving you

By Vincent D. Scebbi
On October 17, 2012

“Adapt or die.”

That seems to be a common phrase heard in my life. Maybe I’ve read too much Darwin or watched “Moneyball” a few times, but this phrase has some relevance to The Independent Collegian, which needs to change in order to survive and better serve its readers.

One change is our recent move from our office on Middlesex Drive, hidden behind Dowd, Nash and White Halls and next to Just Skate. If you have no idea where I’m talking about, you’re not alone. When I first began writing for the IC three years ago, I got lost the first three times trying to find the office; when I did see the run-down building, part of me wished it had stayed lost.

With the move, there have been questions and speculation as to whether our independence was lost. As I have said before, the IC is in fact staying independent. This is a strictly business move where we, the newspaper, are renting space in Carlson Library for $1. This obviously represents a saving that may cause some to see us as indebted, even though university departments have been contributing to our bottom line with advertising dollars for many years. Our independence, however, ultimately derives from our own attitudes and beliefs on how our publication should be run.

By positioning ourselves in a central location, The Independent Collegian will become more connected with the community it covers and cares about. We hope our increased visibility allows you to better see the dedication we have not only to the IC, but the university as a whole.

We’ve also made another change recently. The concept of having an advisor — whether the student-run publication is independent or not — is quite common. In fact, when the IC first declared its independence, it had a professional staff member to aid student editors. Somewhere along the line, that changed.

Enter a new adviser — Erik Gable. A 2002 graduate of Grinnell College in Iowa, he got his start at a student newspaper not unlike this one before spending the next 10 years as a reporter and editor at newspapers in Iowa and Michigan.

The important note to take from this is he’s like us. He’s dedicated to the readers and puts them first.

Erik is in no way affiliated with the University of Toledo. He isn’t paid by UT and he doesn’t work for Tobin Klinger — and yes, that’s a rumor I heard regarding his position.

He is paid by the Collegian Media Foundation, a non-profit organization that formed back at the beginning of the millennium when the newspaper dissolved ties with UT. Now, the Collegian Media Foundation is overseen by a volunteer board whose members have a variety of experiences. Only one is a member of UT payroll and that is Lora Cramer, a visiting instructor in the marketing department.

At the end of the day, the IC is making some changes in content, quality and the design, which you’ve seen these past 10 weeks, but we are not giving up our core fundamentals. I want you to know that we are available and willing to listen to suggestions or feedback. No matter what’s going on, we will continue to strive to serve you.

Vincent D. Scebbi is the Editor-in-Chief of the Independent Collegian and a senior majoring in communication. You can email him at vscebbi@independentcollegian.com.