‘West Bancroft’ cast profile: Megan Beckett
You may have seen her at UT as: Shelly Parker in "Bat Boy: The Musical" (2008) and several roles including the Virgin Mary in "Creation/Doomsday" (2009).
But you could have seen her outside UT too: Megan has played roles in several non-UT productions, including understudying as Maria in "West Side Story" and Lorraine in "All Shook Up," both at the Toledo Repertoire Theater.
Megan loves "West Bancroft": "My favorite song would have to be the title song, ‘West Bancroft Side Story.' It's the first song we started working on, and it's sweet and funny at the same time, which is a nice twist. It's a parody of Taylor Swift's ‘Love Story,' and I love Taylor Swift and all, but I can't sing her lyrics anymore when that song comes on the radio! I can only sing ours."
She can't pick a favorite character: "It would have to be a tie between Marky and Jaleeah. Marky is a ‘super tool' - that's what we call him - and it's great because the person who plays him is so sweet and so caring, and he's nothing like Marky! But it's amazing, seeing him play Marky. He really brings this character to life, and as soon as he's done, he goes back to this sweet little thing that I adore. Jaleeah's this little spitfire. She doesn't take crap from anybody. But on the inside she's a sweet person and she cares a lot about Sonia."
But she can't pick a favorite musical either: "I would have to say that my favorite musical changes daily. One minute, it could be ‘Phantom of the Opera,' and the next minute it'll change to ‘Jekyll and Hyde' or ‘West Side Story.' Or right now, ‘Evil Dead the Musical.' There's too many great musicals out there, and they're all great in their own way."
What was your first production? What role did you play?
"My first production was a play that two of my friends wrote called ‘Conned' . . . It was a small role, but it was a fun role because [my character] ends up getting conned off a boat ride by two con men. I was 14."
What about recording?
"It's different from performing it live or filming because you get all these different takes. You can move a little bit, you can feel the song in you. There's single recording, double recording, group recording, which are all different and all fun in their own way. You get an opportunity to get deeper into yourself and have more fun with it."
More about Megan:
Megan has been at UT since 2007, and her "tentative date" for graduation is next spring. She has big dreams: "I would like to eventually go on to Broadway and perform in New York. Whether that starts with getting my masters or not, we'll see."
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More independentcollegian News Articles
Recent independentcollegian News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR INDEPENDENTCOLLEGIAN NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST INDEPENDENTCOLLEGIAN NEWS
- Advertise with The Independent Collegian
- Read Lloyd Jacobs' contract as president emeritus
- Engineering dean named interim University of Toledo president
- Jacobs to step down at the end of June
- Tuition hike proposed for 2014-2015 school year
- Board of Trustees sign contract to find new president
- Scarborough announced as future president of University of Akron
RECENT INDEPENDENTCOLLEGIAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Shave Strokes off Your Golf Game -- Without the Eraser
- Stay Cool With a Ceiling Fan as Stylish as It Is Functional
- Have a Blast With the Family This Summer, but Stay Safe
- Chiropractic Careers Are on the Rise
- Choosing the Right Home Health Care Agency
- Pop the Champagne Diamond for Your Seasonal Fashion...
- Managing Pain: Are You Reading Your Medicine Labels?
- Does Your Garbage Want to Be Recycled?
- You Can Quit
- Pinching Penny Stocks May Be the Wise Way to Invest