Reedy, Macon shine in Blue and Gold game

Managing Editor

Published: Monday, April 16, 2012

Updated: Sunday, April 15, 2012 23:04

Vincent D. Scebbi/IC

Military Bowl MVP Bernard Reedy dodges a tackler in Friday night's Blue-Gold game at the Glass Bowl. Reedy caught seven passes for 150 yards and one touchdown Friday night.

The Rockets spring practices culminated in the annual Blue and Gold spring game Friday night at the Glass Bowl.

The Blue Team knocked off the Gold Team 21-13 but the story of the night was the emergence of Dwight Macon and continued progress of Bernard Reedy at wide receiver.

“What you have seen is 14, 15 practices of guys coming together and tonight playing very well,” said first-year head coach Matt Campbell. “Dwight Macon has had a great camp and he could have been the player of the day every day throughout the spring. Bernard Reedy just keeps getting better and better and better.

“Anytime you lose a guy like Eric Page, young guys get an opportunity to show themselves and that’s what we are about at the University of Toledo.”

Macon, the third-string quarterback last season, has shined in spring practices since converting to wide receiver this offseason. The first overall pick by the senior class for the Blue and Gold game, Macon caught seven passes for 114 yards and a 70-yard score on the first play of the game.

Macon remains the team’s third-string quarterback, though he saw limited action behind center during the spring game. The sophomore threw for 31 yards on 4-of-5 passing.

Reedy, last year’s Military Bowl MVP and the second overall pick for the scrimmage, caught seven passes for a game-high 150 yards and a touchdown for the Gold Team.

The Rockets will again have a battle at quarterback between senior Austin Dantin and junior Terrance Owens, who led the respective teams in the spring game.

Dantin, representing the Blue Team, completed 14-of-18 passes for 190 yards and two touchdowns while Owens completed 15-of-26 throws for 277 yards with a touchdown and a pair of interceptions.

“The success of these offensive players and these skill guys is because of what we have in Austin Dantin and Terrance Owens,” Campbell said. “They allow these guys to get so much better so fast. Those guys will continue to compete at a high level and make everyone around them compete at a high level as well.”

Expected to be the primary running back with Adonis Thomas and Morgan Williams both having graduated, junior David Fluellen led all rushers with 75 yards on 14 carries with a touchdown for the Blue Team. Junior Robert Carmona and sophomore Ricky Pringle led the Gold Team with 44 and 43 yards, respectively.

After Macon’s 70-yard score to start the game, the Gold Team responded with field goals from 37 and 29 yards from sophomore Jeremiah Detmer to narrow the lead to 7-6 at the half.

Fluellen extended the Blue Team’s advantage before sophomore wide receiver/running back Cassius McDowell caught a 31-yard pass from Dantin to push their lead to 21-6 in the third quarter.

The Gold Team countered with a touchdown by Reedy who broke several tackles to take the ball 70 yards to cut the lead to 21-13.

“I try not to be a sore loser but I take it to the heart,” Reedy said. “I was thinking about getting the ball in my hands and once I saw space I knew I had to make it to the end zone.”

Reedy and the Gold Team had an opportunity to tie the game in the opening minutes of the fourth quarter on 4th down at the goal line but Pringle was stopped for no gain.

The Gold Team had one last attempt to score when Owens heaved it from 38 yards away but junior wide receiver James Green was tackled after catching the ball eight yards short of paydirt, sealing the Blue Team’s 21-13 win.

“It was a lot of fun,” Dantin said. “It really just caps off the spring for us. We didn’t do a ton but we executed what we wanted to.”

Toledo will begin the 2012 season on the road at Arizona on Sept. 1 before playing at Wyoming the following week. They will play arch-rival Bowling Green in the home opener on Sept. 15.