Sitting down with the the SG tickets

Student Government candidates discuss their campaign platforms

Published: Thursday, March 15, 2012

Updated: Monday, March 19, 2012 11:03

Stricklin/Delly: ‘Excitement, experience, proven leadership’

Tate Stricklin and Victoria Delly said their platform aims to address parking by looking for alternatives such as bringing the UT bussing system into adjacent neighborhoods like Bancroft Hills.

Stricklin said the duo will advocate for a student-run book exchange to help give students a more fair buy-back price on textbooks.

"We feel students get the short end of the stick on buy-backs and the short end of the stick with the actual price of the textbooks," Stricklin said. "The price difference between an online retailer and what we are provided with on campus are massive. Some instances [the buy-back price] is 40, 50, $60."

Delly said the ticket also wants to focus on keeping student organizations involved year-round and help “make those big decisions” by expanding the current incentive program SG has in place.

“Your opinion is valued and we need you here,” he said. “It ensures fairness of all organizations.”

Delly said by reaching out to all the organizations it will build “a full-sized senate and different opinions.”

After receiving complaints from students, the ticket hopes to “enhance the student dining experience” by advocating for better service, hours and providing more options to diversify the food selections.

“I think they do a pretty good job right now having different foods there, but maybe having one day where [Horton International House] has Italian food or something different,” she said. “That’s what college is all about, teaching you about things you don’t usually do.”

To address retention issues, Stricklin said the ticket will work to establish a system where students can receive a "class ring" upon completion of 90 credit hours, an idea he learned of at Texas A&M University while attending the national Conference on Student Government Associations.

The students would suggest and submit the ideas of what they would receive, Stricklin said.

"That goes toward retention, tradition and pride and that's something I saw a lot of at Texas A&M," he said.

Ngo/Richardson: ‘For the students, for the community’

One of Nancy Ngo and Patrick Richardson’s goals is to find ways to hold SG more accountable by setting up “The Voice” box, a suggestion box to be located in the Student Union Building.

Also, Richardson said they would like to set up town hall meetings throughout campus where students can approach them with their concerns.

“We want to be very approachable to all students,” Ngo said.

To help increase SG’s presence, Richardson said the ticket will work to establish task forces knowledgeable in topics such as scholarships and student organizations in order to help students find their place in the university.

Richardson said the campaign would like to reform the Rocket Dollar system by offering “one simple monetary unit” as well as expand businesses which accept the Rocket Card. He added he has been working with restaurants, specifically Olga’s located at Franklin Park Mall.

To address parking, Richardson said the campaign wants to develop a “feasible solution” first.

Ngo said they are looking for better ways to support students by planning a few large fundraisers a semester where all profits can be accessed by any student organization.

Richardson said the two are working to get every student organization a vote in student senate.

“Student organizations are, what I think, the heart and soul of the college experience,” Richardson said.

Gold/Harbin: ‘Of the students, by the students, for the students’

Although a recent hearing by the Student Government Election Board ruled the ticket to be disqualified, the duo is still considered an active campaign until an appeal hearing.

Max Gold and Ken Harbin’s platform focuses on making UT more affordable by advocating for dining services to lower their overhead costs.

Also, Gold said he wants to remove general fees by using private contributions.

To help increase the student retention rate, Gold said their campaign will work to reform the freshman leadership program and develop an SG mentoring program known as Students Working Ahead to Graduate.

Gold said in order to address concerns of student safety, the ticket will work with the administration to get security cameras in residence halls.

“We understand the issue of privacy, but we are still concerned with the greater well-being of the students,” he said.

In place of Diversity Week, Gold said he would establish UT Unity Month.

“Diversity is the parts that when added together, create the body that is unity,” he said.