Broce named UT men's golf coach

Managing Editor

Published: Friday, July 13, 2012

Updated: Friday, July 13, 2012 16:07

University of Toledo Athletic Director Mike O’Brien announced the hiring of former Indiana assistant Jamie Broce as the Rockets head men’s golf coach on June 26. Broce replaces Jamie Mauntler who resigned in May after nine years at UT.

"We are very fortunate to have Jamie join our staff," O'Brien said. "Jamie has an impressive golf background, both as a player and as a teacher of the game. We look forward to welcoming Jamie into the Rocket family."

Broce, who played college golf at Ball State, was a touring professional for nine years before coaching at Indiana under head coach Mike Mayer for the past four seasons. As co-founder of the Blair/Broce Junior Golf Academy in LaPorte, Ind., he also has several years of golf instruction experience.

"I'm very excited to become the head coach of the Rockets," Broce said. "Toledo has such a great golfing heritage, both at UT and in the community. When I was in school, Toledo had a terrific program, one of the best in the MAC. I'm looking forward to working with the players who are there now and developing the program in the years to come. There is a great opportunity for success at UT, and I can't wait to get started.”

Broce takes over a Toledo team which finished 6th at the MAC Tournament and posted two top-5 finishes as a team in 2011. The Rockets return 6 of 9 letter winners for the upcoming season as UT looks for its first conference title since 2004, Mauntler’s first year heading the program.

“Short-term, my goal is to really get involved with the players and learn about them individually,” Broce said. “Golf is such a mental game and it’s different for each player. For me to assimilate myself with each player is going to be huge. I’m not sure about team goals in the short-term but obviously the better individuals play the better the team is going to finish.”

In Broce’s four seasons at Indiana the Hoosiers performed respectably as a team. IU finished in second place at the Big Ten Championships this past season, advancing to the NCAA Regionals where they finished in ninth. The program also received academic recognition from the NCAA for finishing in the top 10 percent in the country in Academic Progress Rate (APR).

In 2011 Indiana won four tournament titles, in addition to posting nine top-5 finishes. The Hoosiers picked up team titles at the Renaissance Intercollegiate and the Adidas Hoosier Invitational along with three other top-5 finishes in 2010.

The Hoosiers won two team titles in 2009 as well and spent much of the year ranked among the top-10 in the country, reaching as high as No. 4.

Broce earned three top-four finishes while playing on the Nationwide Tour from 2005-07 and also played professionally on the NGA Hooters Tour (2002-04, 2008). In 2000, Broce qualified and played in the PGA Greater Milwaukee Open.

As a player at Ball State, Broce captained the Cardinal golf team for three years en route to winning six tournaments. In 1999, as a senior, Broce was named an NCAA Third Team All-American, the Mid-American Conference Player of the Year and Sportsman of the Year. He was also honored as an Academic All-American his senior and junior years.

“There’s definitely a lot of things I learned [as a coach and player] but mostly I learned to work extremely hard,” Broce said. “You cannot leave one stone unturned. You have to take advantage of all of your opportunities. Probably eighty percent of the job is getting organized and putting things together. I appreciate that, I like it and look forward to it as well.”

Broce has just under two months to prepare before the Rockets tee off the 2012 season Sep. 10 at the Marshall Invitational in Huntington, W. Va