Engineering, sciences up; most other colleges down

Editor-in-Chief

Published: Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Updated: Wednesday, September 12, 2012 04:09

N_algebra.jpg

Danielle Gamble / IC

Students study inside a mathematics class Tuesday in the Memorial Field House. The College of Natural Science and Mathematics increased in students this year.

Despite a decrease in enrollment as a whole, some individual colleges saw an increase in their student population this year.

According to figures released by the university, the College of Engineering, for example, increased approximately 4 percent this year.

Dean Nagi Naganathan said the increase is credited to efforts made by the college over the past five years.

“I’m in delight of the work of my colleagues,” he said.

With the increase, Naganathan said the goal is to not affect students. He said the college adds extra sections to accommodate.

“There has been a significant demand on teaching residents and the faculty have been very cooperative,” Naganathan said.

Naganathan said the college is already preparing for next year.

He added that each year, recruiters visit almost 200 high schools and meet approximately 1,300 potential students.

While most of those considering Toledo are interested in other colleges than Engineering, Naganathan said it is still a positive.

“We are not only recruiting for Engineering, but we’re recruiting for the university as a whole,” he said.

A second college that saw a significant increase in students was the College of Adult and Lifelong Learning, which jumped almost 50 percent.

Dennis Lettman, dean of the college, said a majority of the increase was caused by a reallocation of students who would normally be admitted into the Gateway Program, met the requirements for CALL and moved into the college.

To be admitted into CALL, the prospective student needs a 2.0 GPA or a GED, a 19 on the ACT college entrance exam and must be 25 years or older or have military/veteran status.

Other schools that saw an increase include the College of Natural Science and Mathematics (5.1 percent), College of Medicine and Life Sciences (2.74 percent) and the College of Visual and Performing Arts (1.52 percent).

The colleges that saw the greatest drops were the College of Law at 11 percent and the Judith Herb College of Education, Health Science and Human Service, which fell approximately 10 percent.

Declines were also seen in the College of Language, Literature and Social Science (9.48 percent), the College of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences (7.31 percent), the College of Business and Innovation (7.05 percent), and the College of Nursing (2.72 percent).

UT President Lloyd Jacobs said the overall decline “is a positive” as the university has tightened its admission standards while maintaining its open enrollment status.  
“Calling it a drop sounds negative,” Jacobs said. “Ultimately your degree will be worth more from a highly selective institution. When you hang up on your wall your diploma from the University of Toledo 20 years from now, I believe it will be recognized as a significantly more selective institution. But the road there is tough, but that’s where we’re trying to go.”

Jacobs said this is probably the first year UT is enforcing the tightening admission standards so it will be “a couple of years” before any results such as increases in retention will be apparent. Jacobs said the tightening of standards, which began approximately three years ago, means new students must take the ACT as well as be enrolled by the July 31 deadline.

From there, he said the individual colleges will accept or deny admission to students.

Students who are not accepted into their college, but have an ACT score and met the deadline, will still be admitted to UT, maintaining the open enrollment philosophy.

Jacobs said the number of students in this “marginally prepared group” diminished this year.

The exact number was unavailable at press time.

“I still want to be deeply committed to that group of people,” Jacobs said. “If they’re here and apply in a timely manner and take the ACT, we’re going to do everything in our power to make them successful.”