Gamelier finishes career at NCAAs

Published: Monday, March 23, 2009

Updated: Monday, March 23, 2009 04:03

swimming

Courtesy of the UT Sports Information Department

Senior Kylie Gamelier swims in a breaststroke event last season. Gamelier closed out her career on Saturday in the NCAA Tournament. She is the first UT swimmer to qualify for the event.

UT senior swimmer Kylie Gamelier finished her career at UT on Saturday in the NCAA Tournament.

"I don't think it's really hit," Gamelier said. "I'll be training for world trials in the summer, so I'll be with everyone. I haven't really thought about it, but I probably will once I'm officially done in the summer."

Gamelier was the first UT swimmer ever to make the tournament. She swam the 100 breaststroke in 1:01.31 and broke the UT record with a 2:12.69 finish in the 200 breaststroke to place 31st in both events.

"It's always been one of my goals to make the NCAA Tournament," Gamelier said. "So it was exciting to finally do that my senior year before I finish my career."

Head Coach Lars Jorgensen traveled with Gamelier to College Station, Texas for the tournament.

"Its great to have Kylie compete on a national level and represent Toledo," Jorgensen said.

"It was good. He was there with me at [Olympic] trials as well," Gamelier said. "You reach a certain point in your career where he doesn't have much to say to me. You don't really talk too much strategy. Basically, all you can say is good luck and go after it."

Gamelier competed in the Olympic trials last season, finishing with a 1:13.93 time in the 100 meter. She earned the Most Improved Award in 2008 and continued to improve this season. Gamelier, along with the rest of the team, constantly posted new personal best times throughout the season.

"Our program has drastically improved the last four years," Gamelier said. "Our team is so young. I'm not saying it was bad before, but all the records are so new. We've been improving so much as a team, and even the whole conference has been improving. We're almost as good as the Big East."

Gamelier earned All-MAC First Team honors this season following her performance at the Mid-American Conference Tournament. She placed second in the 100 breaststroke, third in the 200 breaststroke and eighth in the 200 IM as the Rockets placed third overall.

"I think we did better this year than last year even though we got third instead of second," Gamelier said. "The people who are coming in are faster. We have a lot more depth this year, which is better for the conference tournament. I think we did well. Everyone swam amazing, especially our freshmen."

The breaststroke has become somewhat of a favorite event for Gamelier.

"I was a breaststroker and flyer in high school," Gamelier said. "When I got here, my fly didn't do much of anything, so I changed to IM. You kind of like what you're good at. I guess I like breaststroke. It's fun."

In addition to competing in the world trials, Gamelier, who is graduating with a degree in exercise science, has plans for after graduation out of the water as well.

"I'm going to grad school," Gamelier said. "The place I am looking at is offering a possible graduate assistant or assistant position to help coach swimming."