Golfer Lancaster wins Ontario men’s tourney

Published: Monday, June 18, 2012

Updated: Monday, June 18, 2012 12:06

S_Lancaster.JPG

Lancaster

Toledo redshirt-freshman Mike Lancaster was victorious at the Ontario Men’s Match Play Championship, working through six rounds of match play and registering 23 birdies with one eagle.

Lancaster won the first five rounds with a score of 5 and 4, 4 and 2, 3 and 1, 2 up, and 2 and 1, respectively.

Lancaster battled Chris Hemmerich through 18 holes in the final match of the championship. The 17th hole saw Lancaster drain a 20-foot putt and gain a 1-up lead before the final hole.

On the 18th hole, Hemmerich placed his ball ten feet from the hole, but Lancaster was able to drop his inside of Hemmerich’s to set up the title-winning birdie.

The Ontario Men’s Match Play Championship is held annually and features 64 of Ontario’s best amateur golfers. The golfers must gain entry through one of six qualifying tournaments that are held earlier in the season, or gain exemption into the event.

Lancaster played in seven events for the Rockets in the spring and had the fourth lowest stroke average on the team with 79.

Lancaster is also the second Rocket to win a championship this summer, as his teammate freshman Chris Selfridge won the Irish Amateur Close Championship at Royal Portrush.

In addition to winning the match play title, Lancaster has also earned an exemption into the 2012 Ontario Amateur Championship along with Hemmerich as the top two golfers in the Match Play Championship earn an exemption into the Amateur Championship.