Kertesz advances to NCAA Championships

IC Staff Writer

Published: Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Updated: Wednesday, May 30, 2012 13:05

S_Kertesz.JPG

Photo courtesy of UT Athletics

Junior Emma Kertesz will compete in the NCAA Championship’s 10,000 meter run June 7 in Des Moines, Iowa

Toledo Junior Emma Kertesz qualified for the NCAA Championship meet after finishing 10th in the 10,000 meter run at the NCAA East Preliminary Championship meet with a time of 34:36.34.

“That’s a huge accomplishment,” said UT head coach Kevin Hadsell. “She’s really establishing herself as one the best female distance runners all time in MAC history.”
Kertesz overcame the hot and humid Jacksonville, Fla. weather, an unusual setting for a runner coming from a milder region like Toledo.

“It was really hot out,” Hadsell said. “You would have thought that the majority of the people that would advance on came from warmer weather climates. It was a little bit of a disadvantage for the kids from the north.”
Kertesz ran the 10k alongside senior Ari Fisher and sophomore Megan Vogelsong. Fisher finished in 19th place (35:11.13) while Vogelsong finished in 29th (36:13.43).

“Both of them are already two of the top distance runners in MAC history,” Hadsell said. “For all of them to be on the same team, that’s pretty special.”
Junior Katie Bollin competed in the long jump, finishing in 44th place with a top leap of 18 feet, 1.5 inches.

“She was a little dinged up and it was her first time being in a situation like that,” Hadsell said. “Hopefully she can make it back next year and have a better showing.”
Kertesz and Vogelsong both qualified for the preliminary championship meet back in April after hitting their marks at the Stanford Invitational.  Kertesz finished with a time of 33:28.58, making her the new MAC all-time record-holder in the event.

Her time also qualified her for this summer’s Olympic trials in Eugene, Ore.

Vogelsong also made MAC history after she finished with a time of 34:15.00, placing her sixth all time in the conference.

Fisher earned her spot at the Penn Relays, finishing in first place with a time of 34:41.55 to become only the third woman in MAC history to win a championship at the event.

Bollin qualified after finishing in first place at the Toledo Invitational on May 3, jumping a distance of 6.05 meters (19-10.25). Bollin’s leap was the best mark of any MAC women this season.

Qualifiers, including Kertesz, will compete in the NCAA championship meet on June 7 in Des Moines, Iowa.

“There’s not a whole lot you can do from the first round to the final round to make you that much better, but there’s a whole lot you can do to make yourself a lot worse,” Hadsell said. “It’s more of maintaining your fitness and making sure you don’t go backwards.”