Lacrosse to celebrate 40th anniversary this weekend

Sports Editor

Published: Thursday, April 12, 2012

Updated: Thursday, April 12, 2012 07:04

The Toledo lacrosse program is celebrating its 40th anniversary with an eventful alumni weekend.

“We want our alumni and everyone in Toledo to realize that UT lacrosse has been around for 40 years and we are not going away,” said head coach Mike McComish.  “We want to build this team up so that high school kids will want to come to UT and hopefully play for us in the future.”

The festivities will begin at 2 p.m. Saturday at the Glass Bowl with an alumni game featuring players from years past on each team. Current players will be refereeing the contest, which is free to attend.

“It shows there’s a whole lot more to the team than what we (the current players) are,” said senior captain and club President Dan Bryan. “It’ll be great for the younger guys on the team to see the overwhelming support that we really have.”

After moving up from a less competitive league, the Lacross team is playing in their second year in the Men’s Collegiate Lacrosse Association.

The MCLA is one step below the NCAA level and includes some of the biggest and most notable schools in the country, including Wisconsin, Florida State and Texas. The Rockets hired a new coaching staff this season and hope to keep climbing up the competitive ladder after making the transition.

“It was definitely a little tough in the beginning,” Bryan said. “This year, we’ve done considerably better. The biggest thing to me is that a lot of the opposing coaches that we’ve played this year have mentioned how far we’ve come.”

After the game, the team and its alumni will head to Le Petit Gourmet, a banquet facility in Maumee owned by one of the alumni members. The newly formed Board of Directors will be introduced as they look to take care of some of the administrational chores for the team.

Various memorabilia will be up for auction to benefit the team, including jerseys, equipments and signed posters.

“I think our alumni support is really to take us where we want to go,” Bryan said. “I’d like to see Toledo beat one of the top-tier teams in the league and I think, quite honestly, that’s a reasonable goal for us to have.”

The weekend concludes with Toledo’s final home game of the season when they take on the Ohio Bobcats Sunday at 1 p.m.

“I think people on campus are getting more excited about it,” Bryan said. “I think it’s an exciting sport to watch even if you’ve never watched it before.”