Padres draft Owens

Managing Editor

Published: Friday, June 15, 2012

Updated: Monday, June 18, 2012 12:06

S_Owens.JPG

Nick Kneer/IC

Junior quarterback Terrance Owens will remain at UT despite being drafted by the San Diego Padres.

The Padres have mustered just five playoff appearances and have failed to win a World Series title in 42 full seasons of play.

Add 2010’s historic late-season collapse and this year’s worst record to date (21-41)—aided in no small way by a team ERA of 4.06 (18 of 30) and the league’s third-worst team batting average (.230) — and it should come as no surprise that second-year general manager Josh Byrnes is seeking a new approach.

But on June 6 when San Diego selected Toledo quarterback Terrance Owens in the 40th and final round of the draft (1,215 overall) more than a few heads turned. Owens’ included.  

“I got that call that said ‘Congratulations you’ve been drafted to the Padres,’ and I’ve been working out for football,” Owens said. “That was such a surprising thing.”

The junior signal caller has not played baseball since his freshman year at Glenville High School in Cleveland, but with his exceptional arm strength and the premium placed on left-handed pitching in MLB, San Diego felt he was worthy of the gamble.

“I was really confused. It was just a random call for me while I was just sitting on the couch. I played baseball when I was younger but for that call to be made, it was really random. I didn’t know how to react to it,” Owens said.

Owens confirmed the following day what many already suspected—the interest was not mutual.

“I’m staying in Toledo,” he said. “I’m trying to stay focused on football and having a good season.”

The southpaw was one of just two players from UT selected in the MLB Draft along with pitcher Mike Hamann who was chosen in the 16 round (494 overall) by the Cubs.

Owens started 12 of 13 games last year for the Mid-American Conference West Division Co-champions, completing a Toledo record 72.2 percent of his passes for 2,022 yards and 18 touchdowns with three interceptions. He ranked first in the Mid-American Conference in passing efficiency and sixth nationally.  

Owens is expected once again to split time behind center with senior quarterback Austin Dantin when the season kicks of Sept. 1 at Arizona.