Rockets finish second in meet

Women's track and field team competes in CMU Quad-Meet

Published: Monday, February 9, 2009

Updated: Monday, February 9, 2009 04:02

The UT women's track and field team took second place in the CMU Quad-Meet.

Host Central Michigan won with 170 points. The Rockets earned 130 total points in the 15-event tournament.

Julie Snyder took fourth place in the long jump with a 5.44 meter jump. She also competed in the long jump and the 60-meter hurdles, but she wasn't feeling well and had to miss some of her events.

"Our best field athlete, Julie Snyder, wasn't feeling well and she tried to fight through it a little bit but we had to scratch her after a couple events," Head Coach Kevin Hadsell said. "Having her out of there was rough. Other than that, we did a great job."

Shari Harmon took second place in the pole vault with a 3.35 meter mark.

Kira Shade had a 10.87 meter jump for third place in the triple jump. Paige Wilson took fifth in the event with a nine-meter jump.

LaShawn Vaughns took third place in the 60 meter dash with a 7.76 second time. Amanda Kaverman finished in 7.88 seconds for fifth place.

The Rockets dominated the mile run with five runners in the top eight places. Karen Sovacool took first place with a 5:11.48 time. Lindsay Toussant finished 0.22 seconds behind her for second place. Dagna Stzykiel, Audra Brown and Sara Neubacher all competed as individuals in the event and didn't earn team points for their finishes.

Stzykiel finished in 5:17.79 for fourth place, Brown finished in 5:21.06 for sixth place, and Neubacher finished in 5:22.63 for eighth place.

"I am really pleased with how well we competed," Hadsell said. "I thought that we did a great job, but we had given up too many points in the field events. We outscored CMU in the running events but we just didn't have enough depth in the field events."

Danielle Jacoby took first in the 400 meter dash with a 59.53 second time. CMU's Stephanie Byrne finished 0.02 seconds out of first place, and Joyce Kennedy finished in 59.67 seconds for third place.

Erica Lipstraw took third in the 800 meter run with a 2:21.27 time.

Kaverman took first in the 200 meter dash with a 25.32 second finish. Vaughns finished third in the event with a 25.76 second time, and Kimara Morgan finished in 26.83 seconds for sixth place.

Lindsay Toussant finished the 3000 meter run in 10:42.09 for third place.

The Rockets head to Findlay, Ohio on Friday to compete in the All-Ohio Championships.