Rockets place 16th in tourney

Published: Thursday, February 26, 2009

Updated: Thursday, February 26, 2009 11:02

Sophomore golfer Erica Rivard swings during a tournament this season. She was named the MAC Co-Golfe

Courtesy of the UT Sports Information Department

Sophomore golfer Erica Rivard swings during a tournament this season. She was named the MAC Co-Golfer of the Week.

The UT women's golf team finished just three strokes away from a top 10 performance on Tuesday, placing 16th out of 43 schools with a team score of 927 (319-300-308) at this week's Edwin Watts/Kiawah Island Classic on Kiawah Island, S.C.

"I'm extremely happy with the way we played, and we were really able to work on our games and gain some confidence this week," Head Coach Nicole Hollingsworth said. "Hopefully, we can use this tournament as a springboard to a successful spring season."

The Rockets were led by sophomore Erica Rivard, who finished in a 25th place tie with a career-low 54-hole score of 228 (82-71-75).

Following Rivard for UT was sophomore Michelle Hui, who placed 37th at 230 (79-75-76), and senior Boram Lee, who tied for 62nd place at 234 (79-79-76).

Rounding out the UT lineup were freshmen Georgina Hunt (79-75-82) and Ángela Ibarra (84-88-81). Hunt's 236 and Ibarra's 253 tied them for 75th and 173rd place, respectively.

The Rockets were the highest placing Mid-American Conference school in the tournament, finishing 48 strokes ahead of Ball State's 975 (326-321-328).

Miami (FL) and Central Arkansas tied for the tournament crown with team scores of 904 after UCA erased a five-stroke deficit on the tournament's final day. Central Arkansas senior Nicole Forshner (74-73-71) and East Tennessee State junior Sinead O'Sullivan (74-73-71) finished with medalist honors with a two-over par 218.

UT returns to the links on Friday, March 6 at the Rio Verde Collegiate in Rio Verde, Ariz.